Auckland Council Values

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auckland Council Values
    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:26pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys,

Does anybody know how the Auckland council does their valuations on the property to determine rates?

Second question, has anybody ever challenged the system and gotten anywhere if they do not agree with the valuations?

I understand the council wants to get the most out of every person in the district, but surely if enough people say the apple is rotten there has to be some of outcome.

I'd appreciate some feedback.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 8:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My understanding is they are based on actial real values.
And a few other things thrown in.. type/ number buildings, if subdividable, availability of services to do so around it, contours,etc
 eg lets take a Sth Auckland suburb..
For many yrs (couple decades) was below auckland and nation value going on real sales numbers. Then this area becomes popular for investors , do uppers, and then under the unitary plan becomes able to subdivide down to 300 m. Has a tidy 3 bed house, large garage and shed. Suddenly it becomes close to the new Auckland ave.
 Also worth to note the houses ( not the new units) are now selling , an  have been for the last 12 months a little either side of GV.
 What has happened because of investment, unitary plan changes, a complete change of balance has taken place with many low income area now taken huge jump in real sales value and other more " grammar zone areas not having that huge jump in actual sales value therefore taken a less of a rates increase.

Then go to somewhere on the Sth west edges of Auckland.. again these are selling over the last 12 months.. a little close either side of GV.

If thinking about appealing..I dont know how long after the new gv GVs came in.. that was Aug last yr, appeals are open till.
If want to do a little research on resent sales in your area an GVs you can use many current realator sites.. a good place to start maybe would be here.

Put the addy in at the top... go to , zoom in see recent sales GV s estimates of places around, description.

And if want more details of the property, rates, services etc the Auckland Council GIS.. 

We have kept a data base since 2002 of a large area of Sth Auckland that covers top end value down to full on bottom end rental.

And worth a note.. many jaffers complain about how much they pay in rates..without actually making a comparison with other areas of NZ.. even those with less or no services.
 Want cheaper rates.. stay in Auckland..or at least in the more populated areas.
 eg say a 1200 sqm section garaging , workshop, 3 bed solid house  and a similar house, 800 m sq section similar garaging  no storm water on the edges of Auckland have near the same rates.
 Move over the boundary to the next council, the deeper you go the higher the rates with less services.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 9:56am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

And worth a note.. many jaffers complain about how much they pay in rates..without actually making a comparison with other areas of NZ.. even those with less or no services.
 Want cheaper rates.. stay in Auckland..or at least in the more populated areas.
 eg say a 1200 sqm section garaging , workshop, 3 bed solid house  and a similar house, 800 m sq section similar garaging  no storm water on the edges of Auckland have near the same rates.
 Move over the boundary to the next council, the deeper you go the higher the rates with less services.

true I pay same in rates on a central north island property valued at a 100k.  but power bill is a LOT more though water is included in rates.  So its swings and roundabouts...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:44pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Steps.

Great insight mate and info.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:53pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To establish your QV or whatever they call it now, a valuer does not visit your property. It is information from recent sales but a database doe not always have the relevant informationto determine market value. Land values can be determined by size of sections and development potential and that is your rating basis. Your neighbours section may be the same size as yours and covered in gorse where yours may be professionally landscaped. The rating basis will be the same but the market value is different.
I once challenged my valuation trying to reduce the rateable value by including sales of properties quite unrelated to mine, way cheaper. This was all done via email and they did catch on to my scam but compromised and reduced their valuation but not as far as I cheekily suggested. Explain to them that you have a 10sqm sink hole in your yard, this may help.