Squid from Raglan or Kawhia Harbours?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid from Raglan or Kawhia Harbours?
    Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 8:56am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone tried catching squid from these harbours. There aren't too many open-sea spots off rocks.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:53pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tried twice of the Raglan Wharf.  Caught nothing.  However the first time i talked to a local guy who said they used to catch them off there 20 years ago with the old lamp looking squid jigs. 

I also had a cast off the Manu Bay boat ramp.  Did not catch any probably a bit rough that night, but should be some there on a flat calm evening off the brake-wall. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:54pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keen to hear about Raglan harbour also
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 3:46pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by GSPOT GSPOT wrote:

Tried twice of the Raglan Wharf.  Caught nothing.  However the first time i talked to a local guy who said they used to catch them off there 20 years ago with the old lamp looking squid jigs. 

I also had a cast off the Manu Bay boat ramp.  Did not catch any probably a bit rough that night, but should be some there on a flat calm evening off the brake-wall. 

Do you ever see anything else off the manu bay brakewall? possibly kingis at times?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 8:20am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nah is was dark when i was there.  The only other time I've been there is when I am paddling a surfboard around. 

We always launch in the harbor and go over the bar. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 9:53am
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ah yeh cool, I often launch off there if I only have my tinny. Might have a look around next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 4:41pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've caught squid while anchored off a sandy bay at night (up North) but not many boaties would anchor off Carters!
We put some in the bait tank along with some jack macs and blue maomao but by morning the squid had scoffed all the other livies!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:08pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Havent had any luck to date with those west coast harbors.
http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz