Exploring Ponui & the 'Bottom End'

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 8:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Certainly looking good again thru next week thu.
 This has to be one of the most stable springs for many yrs with mostly long East Coast weather windows.

Just starting to get my head around the West coast thu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 9:38pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know it's been a good day on the water when there's a pink tail sticking sideways out of my chilly bin as I jump out of my little runabout back at the beach.

After two days of daddy duty and a few sneaky envious looks from the deck over towards Sargeants Channel and Maria, I had hit the water on Labour Day amid a beautiful daybreak over the Tamaki Strait.

It was like the Auckland On Water Boat Show in various bays up the Waiheke Channel, must have been a lot of empty moorings at the marinas around town.

Fishing was fairly slow softbaiting along the rocky outcrops of Ponui and Pakatoa, with a few keepers in the 40s, but quite a few small fish as well. The bright sun by mid morning and the warm temperature felt like summer, rather than spring. I'm not familiar enough with the area to know if that means the shallow softbaiting season has come to an end? But guess it may have.

Seeing some honking korora (little blue penguins) which my boat is named after was a treat, one swam past me under water. Also saw a heap of big jelly fish drifting around - nasty looking things.

After a couple of hours I decided to head for deeper water and the move paid off, with quite a bit of sign between Rotoroa and Shag. I switched to 1/2oz jighead and Gulp Crazy Legs jerk shad New Penny and hooked several nice pannies in 18-20m.
Then, as the tide was slowing towards low, I hooked a fish in a different league which sent my reel screaming. After a long and thrilling tussle, and lots of heavy lunges near the end, up popped a corker. It was blown in 20m, so came home -  a new PB on softbaits, 12lb and 66cm. 
I felt very blessed as I headed home amid washing machine seas with all the gin palaces heading back to the city.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 9:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done mate always great getting hard fighting snapper in that size range. Quite funny how they can turn on the burn when they want to, have had some torrid scraps on the sand with them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:44pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done TK. They certainly test your knots at that size. That bay looks very familiar :)
www.northsideadventures.co.nz
www.facebook.com/northsideadventures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 1:35pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kawakawa bay ramp was heaving on sunday so went and searched out a few quiet spots

Kingi caught in 10m of water on micro jig took a while to Bring in on 10lb braid but played it well and fed the neighbourhood!

It's funny cruising past gin palaces in my 12ftr out wide? The looks I get are worth it, one guys tender on his deck was bigger than my boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JW JW wrote:

Well done TK. They certainly test your knots at that size. That bay looks very familiar :)

Haha, yes indeed. I'll have a look for JW carved into the sea wall!!
I've had to move to your old beach after storm damage at my local.
Can't beat that anticipation of pulling up just at first light, all set to go fishing...

I know it sounds a bit obvious, but having not caught one over double figures on soft bait before, there's a real difference in power between the mid to high 50cms fish, and something 65cm+. I got a bit nervous about what could go wrong when it was doing those repeated lunges near the end, just before I could see colour. I was using 16lb leader, but had a Mustad Fastach as insurance against teeth.
I took my time, and thankfully it all went to plan.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

Kingi caught in 10m of water on micro jig took a while to Bring in on 10lb braid but played it well and fed the neighbourhood!

It's funny cruising past gin palaces in my 12ftr out wide? The looks I get are worth it, one guys tender on his deck was bigger than my boat

Great stuff, Spin King. Awesome catch on the light gear! Someone mentioned on this thread, I think, about the kingies along that coast. I've got a tiddler one, and seen others follow in small snapper I've hooked. But not on the end of my line, yet.

I saw you guys out there, at one stage we were fishing the same part of the coastline. Always like seeing another small boat getting amongst it. Stunning morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:12pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ha the yellow boats hard to miss ay! Hope we didn't mess up your drift?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:15pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Well done mate always great getting hard fighting snapper in that size range. Quite funny how they can turn on the burn when they want to, have had some torrid scraps on the sand with them. 

Cheers Dan. I certainly felt better knowing I was over sand. Incidentally, that one had crushed up scallop shells in its guts. I always like the New Penny over sand, quite natural looking.

Hope you had a good trip today, will look forward to a report. Looked like another pearler on the ferry today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 12:33pm
Shark-Bait View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hello Lads, looks like your into a few, should really start to fire up from now on, all the little nooks & crannies will start to hold the odd nice fish, just got to get them out without getting busted.
Been looking at My old diary, man I spent some time around that area.
The Tamikie straight should start to get red hot soon if not all ready, just depends on the water temp, once it hits 16 17degs it should be bent rods & screeming reels.
Good luck Lads & look forward to reading all the reports.
Happy days.
Life is short so make the most of every day.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Page  <123