Waiheke bottom end fishing, jigs and softbaits

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiheke bottom end fishing, jigs and softbaits
    Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 4:42pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished the bottom end of Waiheke last Friday, catching Snapper on softbaits and jigs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 5:31pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We hit bottom end day before.. typical harder winter fishing, still came back with a couple feeds for all 3 families...
 Damn last of the king tides on Friday.. we made sure back by 4:15pm latest to catch 600mm+ bottom of the tide to get boat up on the trailer at the ramp.

Expected a lot of logs etc , espec up the waiheke channel, and the current line outside pakatoa/ rotoroa islands in the current lines...but lot more than expected, even outside the current lines.
 And not only large logs, what look like the posts council/ DoC put around car parks.
Which is why we got back just before low tide.. missed the change of light/ best bite times...
 The sun low, sun strike between bottom of waiheke channel and maraetai  with logs was of concern as well.

looks like you headed left up the 30m line gannet / anita ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 8:35pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Enjoy your videos Coxie.

Out of curiosity, why do you fish sofbaits lefthand and jigs right hand? Or do you fish spinning reel lefthand and overhead right hand?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 11:13pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steps - I was out last Wednesday also and as you say there was a load of debri in the water, and many large logs and posts that would put an end to your trip if you hit them at speed...

Keith C- I would prefer all my reels to be left handed, but availability of overhead reels in LH wind is far less common, and also I can only do the mechanical jigging technique winding with my right hand, too unco to do this winding left handed so thats another reason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:31am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All my reels are LH, including overheads. The only reels that you will struggle to get in NZ (or indeed anywhere) in LH are the large big game reels, but even they can be bought for a price. Coxie - if you can only do mechanical jigging right handed, but prefer a LH spinning reels, you must be a weirdo LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:33am
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MightyBoosh - haha yeah I think I am a weirdo! I haven't been mechanical jigging for that long, but it was easiest to pick it up with a RH overhead reel so thats what I stuck with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps - I was out last Wednesday also 
 there was a pair of 'skis heading nth on the inside of shag.. and another single...must have been you.
No other boats around other going widing  which left the only other boat you may have seen being us... 

I , the wife and couple children are all lefties....our spion reels are all set to out of bthe box 'right handed'
 Son is right handed .. his is set to 'left handed'
 I grew up in the 50s/ 60s with spinners set this way.
 Watch a few movies from over seas and one notices the same.
 If left handed your strongest  side is left handed.. that pulls the rod.. the other just winds.
When cast out a SB what ever, one holds the rod in left hand, cast, using the primary arm.. then hits the handle, drop bail with right hand, without having to change hands in the 'normal' setup.

Have since noticed that offshore guys over here tend to do the same...and vaguely rem being mentioned on several TV shows.. MW one thing Angry fish the other (???)

So to me , using your prinmary/ strong arm the control casting and lifting and weaker secondary to wind and lift is far more logical..
I know when I pick up my sons rod (right handed) and set up 'left handed' and me left handed it fews very unnatural.. maybe what one learnt on day one...but also changing the rod over between arms seems silly and wasteful.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:46am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seriously, whatever works, but yes, if you are swapping the rod from one hand to another, that would suggest something isn't right.