Reroofing!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reroofing!
    Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:43pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Non-related to fishing at all but if any builders or experts in the roofing industry would be happy to assist me in making the right decision I would be very grateful.

I'm currently looking to do a reroof metal to metal (old roof is zinc i think) and pretty confused with what I should be picking in terms of brands and materials. 

I've been recommended Colorsteel but there is 3 different brands? Colorcote, Colorsteel, Dimond? I'm pretty confused and have been quoted and recommended Zincalume plenty of times. What are the difference between Zincalume and Colorsteel? Pros/Cons? I live in Dunedin and about 1km from the sea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote stef da maori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:07pm
stef da maori View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok. There are 2 Main coilcoaters in NZ.
NZ STEEL who make Colorsteel
PCC who make Colorcote.
Both of these produce a coloured coil for rollforming.
Company’s like Dimond, will rollform this coil into profiles. Such as Corrugate,5 rib, 6 rib, styleline etc.

Your standard grade “coloured” steel will be fine to reroof your house. Being 1km from the sea should be ok. But it pays to ask for warranty check on your address and this will provide a recommended grade for that address.
Zincalume basically is your “non” coloured product.
This will also be fine for reroof, based on warranty check, as long as you are happy with a plain product.
Contact your local rollforners. Such as Dimond. They will provide recommended installlers to provide you with a price.

Hope that enlightens things a bit. It can be confusing
Tama tu, tama ora. Tama moe, tama mate.Maranga mai, me hiika tatou i nga wa katoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 9:50am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I put coloursteel on the bach at Coromandel in the colour Karaka. It faded and when I spoke to them they were onto it very quickly to recote the product. That was 10 to 15 years ago (the recote) and it still looks good although we did change the colour to a blue/grey colour.
Very happy with Coloursteel
My roof is about 25 years old and we are 200 meters away from the sea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:20pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am a former Plumber/Roofer and I think there is a lot to be said for a factory coating especially as you are close to the water. I dont think that you can get anywhere near as good coating by using Zincalume, then spraying or brushing on a paint. Being close to the water I would ask them specifically to touch up any cuts in the sheets with aerosol paint prior to laying, as these areas will corrode first. I suggest you keep the roof clean to help preserve the coating including gutters. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:45pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, we reroofed last year. We went with coloursteel. From memory there are two types one for coastal areas and one for inland areas. Guys who were putting it up told me there was some counterfeit product around and to check it had genuine coloursteel stamp on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:54pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I went with color steel which is fine but I got the regular thickness which dents to easily when walking etc which sucks..
The slightly thicker one is not much more money and I would get that in future for sure.
Not up to date with pricing however.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:31pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for he advice, is there much difference between the 2 brands colorcote and colorsteel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Guess there's not much difference between the 2 brands? Just got a quote back colorcote was more expensive than coloersteel for top to range stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:45pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

it comes down to buying power. As in any industry, its the cost of the product versus the amount you buy. Big companies have a better "buy" price than some company that only buys once in a while.Then there's all the hidden costs, markups, overheads etc.