Marlin vs Saragosa 20000sw

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin vs Saragosa 20000sw
    Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:08pm
WaiapuKahawai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a couple Saragosa 20000sw's on jigging rods(24-37kg) can I use these to troll for marlin???
Cheers guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep definitely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:48pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Shaneg
I know hardcore marlin fisherman talk about a lot of line is needed...I'll probably put 25kg powerpro on which would give me 500m before I top shot.. Is that enough?? I'm a fan of spinning gear but eventually get a couple 30w-50w overhead reels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:26am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For Stripeys that would probably be fine. I have a Makaira 20k with just under 400m of 100lb braid on it and I would be happy to troll with it, I guess just don't use light gauge hooks so you can lean on the fish if you start running out of line?

Blues and Blacks, less so. I've seen a black marlin dump a 50W of 24kg mono like it was in freespool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:58am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you don't have 8 lures and a dredge out, and your crew can clear the gear quickly, and you know how to run the boat Ok, then most Stripies are going to be fine. Only ever had a few maybe get out 500m or so and probably could have kept them shorter if needed. It's that fish of a lifetime that you won't land. Have seen the bottom of a 50W on a large blue, and that was with us chasing hard. Might have had 100m left out of ~1000m on the spool. Still doable on the shorter line if you make the decision to chase really hard driving forwards right from the beginning, but it isn't as easy as it sounds and you will curse the lack of line if you lose a big one like that. It is scary how quickly a big fish will empty a reel. No time for anything but perfect crew work and boat handling on short line. Still, better to be out there doing it so give it a go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:42am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Rod is the bigger issue. If it has the Skeletal Butt design with two pieces of Hypalon grip and exposed blank like most jigging rods have. The Rod can Snap where the exposed Blank touches the Rod holder.Therefore these rods are not recommended for using from a rod holder.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:36pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers tagit
I've got a stabicraft 389 I launch from lottin point and one goal is to pull a marlin from my boat... Probably only run 3 rods so shouldn't be any mucking around n be able to chase pretty quick..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 1:49pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BFB is correct about the rods maybe breaking in the holders so I would run light strike drags (the normal single hook setup people discuss) and only lift the drag once you have the rod out of the holder. Caught my first YFT on a tinny not much bigger than yours at Waihau and plenty of Marlin caught not that far off Cape Runaway so figure they will be well within range on the nice days. Only trouble is that area is better known for big Blues than mid size Stripies during many seasons. Take spare lures and spare line Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:18pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We use Ugly Stick Blue water 24kg Jigging rods. Dogfights 8000 and Stella 20 000 with JM spool All loaded with 50lb braid and a 3 meter 100lb top shot.
Caught 4 marlin up to date . Biggest one 100kg so no monsters.
It can be done but you need a skipper who know how to chase the fish down.
No problems with trolling with the jigging rods yet. Fishing from wooden boats on the islands so prefer spinning reels for ease of use. Don't use light gauge hooks as you going to straighten them very quick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Worth remembering the boys up in the Pacific catch Blues on handlines i.e. use what you have. Saffayakker, a member on here, is up to 7 or 8 blues (maybe 9) on jig rods running a stella twin power and a Saragosa, I think 20 000 but maybe one size down.  He runs 50lb and I know here's never been spooled.  One caught on my Offshore Ocea PE8, 50lb, with dogfight 8000.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 7:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by WaiapuKahawai WaiapuKahawai wrote:

Hey Shaneg
I know hardcore marlin fisherman talk about a lot of line is needed...I'll probably put 25kg powerpro on which would give me 500m before I top shot.. Is that enough?? I'm a fan of spinning gear but eventually get a couple 30w-50w overhead reels.

Probably question been answered by other replied above. Plenty been caught TLD 25s and nylon. We got one few year ago on a TLD 25 (and sparked my interest in smaller reels for marlin). That said we've had blue spool us TLD 50 and it had full line loan of 24 over 700m and odd stripy will take 500 meters off but most stripes don't usually get that far,particularly if you turn boat and start to follow them.
On a jig rod if you have exposed blank at top of rod holder I would be tempted to get some hypalon from a rod builder cut it down to fit and lengthways so can slide on to exposed blank and then temporarily tape it round the blank with electrical or gaff tape.
Good luck, I've never got one on a spin rod.