New alloy 8m boat build spec

Page  <1 345
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AK-47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:14pm
AK-47 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heart Gotta love some fine engineering! Beautiful mate! Stunning! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AK-47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:17am
AK-47 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dry weight came in 3.3 tonne so closer to 3.5 tonne with low fuel and gear for travelling. Also went to a weigh station before got the boat and spoke to the copper. Total weight with tow vehicle to stay under COF is 6 tonne total load by the book but they apply half a tonne tolerance so 6.5 tonne total is max weight. A big rig to tow but we are ok compliance wise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AK-47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:16am
AK-47 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can’t speak highly enough of the team at White Pointer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 3:36pm
RMC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Such a good looking boat. Great to see a lot of ideas from this post on the finished product.

How are you finding the Hyundai and what sort of fuel usage numbers are you getting from it. Should be pretty good i would think ?  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AK-47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 5:06pm
AK-47 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So far so good 3,000 rpm doing 24.5 knots using 29l/hr. Trolling average about 5l an hour maybe less. Pretty good range with the tank size. Haven’t filled yet but is somewhere between 400-500 litres
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coldsteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 8:24am
Coldsteel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

HI mate.

Im just entering the design stage of a 7.5m build with inboard and are finding the decision around D4 260 v 270 seasall hard. Are you still happy with the hyundai? How many hours so far and any issues? I've been keen on it from the start but have got price to within 3k of the Volvo. And the builders have more volvo experience. With a 4 year warranty and suspected better fuel economy out of the hyundai I'm still leaning that way. Not found many fuel stats for volvo 260 in a 7.5m white pointer. What are your confirmed stats? Hyundai sites state 2.4lph at 7knt in a 7.5 most I speak to find that hard to believe so keen to hear your actual experience allowing that your a Meter bigger also.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:01pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I came across this post today.
I've never taken the time before to read these posts.
I was drawn in.
Their was so much consideration to your boat Ak, and then others piped in showing their wares and knowledge.
Lead onto other posts.
Spent a few good hours reading them.

What a lot of great info proffered and realised.

Each to his own result but most enjoyable.
Thanks.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 6:52pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would have thought d4 would be overkill in a 7.5m. Plenty of torque from the Hyundai (or mercury) with much less weight. So given the weight difference and the displacement difference likely to be better economy too. Also a 3l v6 is always going to be smoother than a 3.7l in-line 4
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AK-47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:52am
AK-47 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gday
Here are the stats I gave to WP and Hyundai. I didn’t push it any harder as ran out of room in the bay but have got up past 32 knots with room to move. I’m 3.3 tonne dry including trailer and total length 8.85m.

3 pob
Half tank fuel
Calm conditions

1000 rpm
6.1 knots
2.4l/hr

1500 rpm
7.6 knots
7.0 l/h

2000 rpm
12.0 knots
15.7 l/hr

2500 rpm
18.9 knots
21.9 l/hr

3000 rpm
24.6 knots
30.3 l/hr

3500 rpm
30.5 knots
41.9 l/hr

I’ve only done 100 hours and never had a Volvo but I think you have 2 great options there. Hyundai have been great to deal with. I’ve had no issues. My mechanic services both brands of engines and he plans to put a new engine in his own boat and it will be the s270.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:18am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattyroo, Now that's what you call a tow wagon - nice boat too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:35pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by AK-47 AK-47 wrote:

Gday
Here are the stats I gave to WP and Hyundai. I didn’t push it any harder as ran out of room in the bay but have got up past 32 knots with room to move. I’m 3.3 tonne dry including trailer and total length 8.85m.

3 pob
Half tank fuel
Calm conditions

1000 rpm
6.1 knots
2.4l/hr

1500 rpm
7.6 knots
7.0 l/h

2000 rpm
12.0 knots
15.7 l/hr

2500 rpm
18.9 knots
21.9 l/hr

3000 rpm
24.6 knots
30.3 l/hr

3500 rpm
30.5 knots
41.9 l/hr

I’ve only done 100 hours and never had a Volvo but I think you have 2 great options there. Hyundai have been great to deal with. I’ve had no issues. My mechanic services both brands of engines and he plans to put a new engine in his own boat and it will be the s270.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

These stats were taken not long after we launch our WP 8.4 Pro Sportsman. Figures haven't changed much boat weighs in fully loaded on the trailer at around 4.8t so Im guessing 4t in the water. 550L fuel & 8 people we cruise at 2900rpm at 21knts burning approx 32-36 lph depending on sea condition. We have clocked up 3500hrs on the Volvo D4 260hp with very little issues, serviced every 200hrs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:50pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stats,
Tzer that's very economical indeed.

What are the servicing costs for your boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 5:37pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Great stats,
Tzer that's very economical indeed.

What are the servicing costs for your boats.

Depending what is required at service time, just a service is around $8-900 and if the leg has to come off then maybe $1200. Volvo parts are the killer though and their oil but hey you cant get out and walk home so I just go with what my mechanic recommends.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coldsteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 6:03pm
Coldsteel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the thorough response mate.

That's some great stats I'm building a 7.5m Purekraft will be a little lighter to you and tzer but a very similar boat. Your figures are closer to what I expect. Hyundai has a 7.5m white pointer report on website will hope for somewhere between the two. The 4 year warranty and slightly better fuel economy and less weight has me still leaning towards he Hyundai for a 7.5.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 4:23pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reading this post has encouraged me to at least pass on some lessons I have learned.

I also wanted to know if any of you considered isolating or controlling corrosion through your build.

As much as I wanted new I have had great enjoyment in refurbishing sound older boats for my toys.

There have been a few areas I have come across that maybe overlooked.

One is carpet/insulation in the foreword cabin or any carpet formats that are applied by adhesives.
I found after removal of these areas that there was corrosion spotting across the zones.
The materials hold salt laden air moisture and the corrosion was predominant on bare alloy surfaces.

Another was the anchor well.
Without the regular removal of the warp and chain to flush this zone corrosion was clearly evident.
I removed the corrosion and liquid rubber lined the space making it pretty impervious for sitting salt water via the warp and regular impacts of the chain.

I also found a number of cavities in construction that were under utilised but also were not airtight allowing moisture to gain access.
I opened these up and have increased my storage space as a benefit.

I also found zones that when washing, accidental floods the ability for fluids to drain off were inadequate so they would store water.
Improved drainage holes and internal bilge pumps keep this under control.

I thought I would pass these on as they may be easily overlooked by the owner and as I have come across some constructors.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coldsteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 4:41pm
Coldsteel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers. So following above and sea trial today I've chosen the Hyundai 270. Price difference was negligible as I had the option know the last old model D4 in the country.

Warranty, weight and speaking directly to several people with experience good and bad has given me confidence.

As for corrosion yea mate just know about if well. Was disappointed to find fairly advanced corrosion. Under carpet installed in the gunnels. I caught just in time and have removed acid washed and put sea deck type lining in its place. My designers and I are very aware and it will certainly be considered.

Cheers now to start designing my dream!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coldsteel,
What was the acid wash format you used.
And does it terminate existing corrosion if it's become deep pitting or just surface or subsurface corrosion.
With existing corrosion what prep are you doing to then isolate and stop before applying products before re-applying deck lining.
Thanks.
Page  <1 345