Shorething for kontiki

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishjew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shorething for kontiki
    Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:13pm
fishjew View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am seriously considering buying a shorething for my kontiki as there are plenty of sharks around where we fish west coast north island. I cant really find many reviews anywhere on use ,ease of use etc has anyone used one sucessfully ..?? I have watched all the videos on utube etc any comments from an owner
Thanks Fishjew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:56pm
macrayfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've had one for a few years now, and love it.

I regularly fish Karioitahi on the West Coast and have had no problems losing the torpedo to sharks. They just regularly bite through the traces on the dropper line, but I always get my main line back intact.

I have an early model with the clockwork release mechanism which I understand has now been replaced by a dissolving lolly method.
Not sure how successful that is - you need to talk to Ian at Paul Barnes about it. 

They do require a bit of experience and understanding to get the best from, but once mastered you should have no trouble.

Happy to share my knowledge - PM me if you think I can help.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishjew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:09pm
fishjew View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info, I talked to them about the dissolving lolly method , hopefully someone with a dissolving lolly spring method will reply as well . Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 12:34am
Teesha View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, my partner recently purchased a shorething and unfortunately we have had nothing but trouble. The hooks wont deploy 90% of the time and for some reason, it just wont go straight. It steers off to the right and then beaches itself, very fustrating! Will be contacting the Shorething team first thing tomorrow to return the damn thing. Its a total waste of money. We have been longline fishing for over 14 years and never ever had so much trouble as we have with the shore thing. i would rather take my chances with the sharks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:17pm
macrayfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Teesha, I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like the weights aren't dropping, and with nothing to anchor it, the current, and, or, the wind is simply washing it back to shore. 

I've had this happen to me a few times so I know how you feel.
However I've just come back from another successful day at Karioitahi with three lovely snapper, so they do work, and there is no reason why yours shouldn't either. 

Let's try and sort it out:

What torpedo do you have?
Does it have GPS?
How high was the swell when you launched.
What system does your Shorething use to drop the weights? (dissolving lolly or clockwork release).
What batteries do you use, and how far out are you getting with them?
How long do they run before completely discharging?
What coast/ beach are you fishing on? 
How long is the tether between the torpedo and the Shorthing?

If you can't get your money back, don't despair - PM me, and I will help you.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Darkmoon Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:56pm
Darkmoon Angler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

this may interest ya.https://youtu.be/l5miMuMbdrQ