A windy but fun day on the water in the North

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A windy but fun day on the water in the North
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:46pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

With a not to bad weather window Stevo and I decided to go see if the fish were still holding in the North, we were only there for a day but sometimes that 4-5hr drive can be well worth it. Arriving just after daybreak we dropped off our gear in the cabin at the Top 10 then back tracked a few minutes to launch of Rangiputa, the SW wind had kicked in a little stronger than predicted but we had a spot we wanted to fish off one of the beaches.
The plan was to just fish a little wide until the wind pushed us back in close then head up the Harbour for an arvo of stray-lining, We sat in the rough for a little while but made our way into one of the beaches as planed. There had been a lot of talk that the beach was holding plenty of fish and that was to become true. Dropping a big burl we soon had our lines over the side with plenty of fish coming aboard, there was nothing big around but there was plenty of fish in that 40-50cm range. Once again it was that magic far North fishing we left behind a month or two ago - every bait dropped was smashed pretty much straight away.
Last time here we caught a few big Trev's and around my 4-5th bait it looked like I was onto another one of those Donkey Trev's, just love catching these on light gear. Getting it on board it was a stonker alright being roughly around 3-4 kilo. Although the big Snaps weren't here this time it was still a hell of a lot of fun, this fishing sometimes can out weigh catching a few big Snapper as the action is just nonstop at times.
It was great fun not having to travel far in the boat nor having to hunt for the fish, we were just minutes from the ramp as usual being in the North and onto fish. It's pretty good when you travel a few hours North and even when the wind blows you can launch and be into fish with in minutes. We spent most of the day just playing off the bay with a few more hours left to the day we up anchored and headed up to one of our shallow spots further up the Harbour, this is a nice little channel that drops over a bank from the main channel into about 4-5mtrs of water. We have caught some solid fish here at times but to be honest even the small models in this current are great fun on light gear.
Once again dropping the burl in we started where we left off at the other spot, fish after fish after fish. I had a bit of fun with a little king to, the Harbour holds a lot of these and once the fish congregate behind the boat you never know what ya have on once hooked up. We finished the day off in the suns rays catching a few fish to take home - what another epic fish in the far North it turned out to be.
It was a magic day fishing with a mate and the bonus of having a few nice fish in the bin for home.
Tight Lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:07pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the vid. I came up north from Wellington for work a month ago . The homeowner took us out to Rangiputa for a fish before work. We had a similar time catching lots of snaps and some big trevs all on lures and no burly. Amazing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:43am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lol mate, the size of that JD in the intro caught in the tinny is cr1iminal hahaha. Was it caught on a livie?

I see its on the BB report so maybe its on there, Ill watch that after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:04pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by King Con King Con wrote:

Thanks for the vid. I came up north from Wellington for work a month ago . The homeowner took us out to Rangiputa for a fish before work. We had a similar time catching lots of snaps and some big trevs all on lures and no burly. Amazing
Far North at it's best Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:06pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Lol mate, the size of that JD in the intro caught in the tinny is cr1iminal hahaha. Was it caught on a livie?

I see its on the BB report so maybe its on there, Ill watch that after.
Hey FF - yip caught on live bait - we went and fished an old haunt with live baits for Kings, Snaps and JD's - was a lot of fun 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha another great vid, that thing would swallow a good size KY no probs im sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:25pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Haha another great vid, that thing would swallow a good size KY no probs im sure.
Cheers FF - yip was a donkey of a Johny for the Bays Big smile