Gulp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote khaled eid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gulp
    Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:34pm
khaled eid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I am using Glup soft bait from wharves, I keep losing the swimming tail of the soft bait.

Any idea how to hook the fish, I tried Zman and did not get a single bite.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:46pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Use smaller baits and hooks. You are probably having the tails nipped off by spotties.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:30pm
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to have the same problem, but have fixed it by changing to the zman range. Those things last for ages for me.
Buckler of Swashes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:13pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never had a problem not catching fish on Z-mans, what size gulps are you using?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sassy_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:19am
sassy_nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Try these, I got given one from one of my customers and its awesome ! Defs had a higher success rate of catching more fish.

I believe marine deals have them 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 12:41pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Use some secret sauce on your zmans and use small baits and jigheads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 7:10pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I find gulp a big waste of money, used to use them but if there are small fish around you will find yourself using multiple packs in one trip. Also if you leave them on your hook out of the water for a few hours they dry up to a point where they are rigid and unsable. Z-mans have similar (if not identicle) action as gulps, and are 100x more durable, 1 pack (6 baits) has lasted me upto ten trips catching a limit of snapper, have even had the same bait on the same jighead for a few weeks over 3 trips and still catch fish. The curly tails and such do get torn apart a bit quicker than jerk shads and paddle tails but personally I lose more zmans to snags than I do to fish... my 2 cents, plus the fact you don't need to keep them in that stinkin juice alone is enough for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:02pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Think all the advice has missed the mark on this topic.

Using softbait from a stationary structure such as a wharf is just hard work and not very successful.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Amen to that Potty. Bait or livebait the much better option off a wharf.

You could do OK casting softbaits off the rocks but still be better served by bait fishing. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote speckledknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
speckledknob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've softbaited off anchor in the burly trail quite a few times due to stuck in the boat with bait fisherman and done just as well as they did. Why would a wharf be any different? 

Definitely 100% agree go zman though, I don't see how gulp still survive to be honest..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would say feel free to try. LOL

Best hopes would be on kahawai, trevally, maybe John Dory are the best target just run a paddletail on a heavy jighead near the bottom. 

But don't forget its a wharf bound to be others and it would be rude running braid across surfcasting rigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:32pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I fish stationary of the rocks with soft baits and do extermely well, a jigging grub with a quarter ounce has caught me many pannies as well as a few string pullers to 10lb. I've found getting a good Burley working and a slow bounce and a good rest.on the bottom works a real treat. Gulp is softer and tends to gets smashed up quicker I prefer 4 inch and under zmans. In particular the zman motor oils or coconut ice have been real favorites.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:29pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe even try a small ball sinker with a worm hook rig for snag free fishing. Some areas I fish for trevally are well within surfcasting range
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:32pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Amen to that Potty. Bait or livebait the much better option off a wharf.

Agree and I haven't put a bait on a hook for 5 years*.

*Not entirely true, but more or less.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 10:16am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would be interesting to try a slow jig as well.