Spinning locations Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinning locations Auckland
    Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:17pm
Ebra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all, first post here.

Was walking down by the Whau river in New Lynn the other day and saw large schools of bait fish, were either small kahawai or mullet. Went down a few days later to try to entice them onto my sabiki with a bit of sweetcorn and bread but no luck.

Since then though I have recently become interested in trying a bit of spinning for some Kahawai in Auckland. The thing is im as green as they come when it comes to places to fish. Any good areas I should give a try, river mouths, estuaries or rocks all tickle my fancy.

Anyone tried and succeeded spinning lures for hungry Kahawai, and willing to give up a location?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Kahawai are a great sport fish. Try at Whatipu off Paratutae island about 3 to 2 hours before high to an hour after high but only when the swell is down. Walk as far around as you can around the east side, jumping over the gap (you'll know it when you see it) A lure cast out or an unweighted pilchard will work. Light tackle is all you need and my favourite for KY is 3kg. As you're new I suggest 6 to 10kg.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ohhh and welcome to the forums Ebra
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:54pm
Ebra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks smudge. been lurking for a while and decided I finally needed some expert opinions.
 I will give it a go at Whatipu.

I remember my old man taking me around there years ago and it had an eerie feel to the place. 

Whole Pilchard in the wash around the rocks?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 9:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes. A whole pillie on a two hook rig. Cast it right out and just retrieve it enough to keep it off the bottom. Often you will see the kahawai riding in the waves