Rock Fishing Spirit's Bay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Fishing Spirit's Bay
    Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:53pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a day at Spirit's Bay whilst part of a party of people doing the 90 mile this year. Lots of good memories of this part of NZ....sharks, huge kings, big trevs....

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 9:37pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Scott

Like your style - telling it the way it is.  Not every day produces a great haul, and chur for taking us along.

Liked
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:10am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks - yep, that's fishing I suppose....not always catching   :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:44am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice vid to watch over a breakfast coffee. Excellent way to start the day. You sure take some gear with you. Rods, reels, lures, balloons, sun-protection, food& drink(?), drone, and of course the all-important camera!
'Liked' as well. (And very Cool cat!)
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 11:34am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bucks would have been fun with that swell Tongue
Always been really hit or miss for us along there, magic place all the same. One of those spots that makes you think anything could happen. 
Mate hooked a huge bronzie there once on a livie, estimate 120kg+, one big jump and he was gone LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:14pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the positive feedback...yes take a bit of gear and that was the 'light' version' only 3 rods....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best time of the year to fish spirits is from now on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That cat wanted to tax your fish but nothing to give him. Great video Scott
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:16am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool.......always enjoy.......esp the drone stuff.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:23pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of a trip down memory lane for me too thanks LBGer.   Use to camp there for weeks on end 40 odd years ago.  Bugger all people around then, no camp ground either and the tar seal ended at approx Rarawa. It was such a mission to just get up there then that it felt like you were entering Jurrasic Park coming down out of the hills to the beach and that foreboding seascape.   From the top of that hill by the beach the curve of the earth could be appreciated.  I don't think you are allowed to climb the hill now.  Those caves have bones in em so they say.

Use to regard the place as my own secret Wink .   

Good days, massive fish off the beach and rocks and reef out in front.  Wild horse roaming free, fat green geckos in the teatree and mozzies so big they rode in on motorcycles.   It was a bloody zoo.

I particularly remember catching huge sea going kahawai off that headland and nabbing unwary flounder in the stream by the beach. 

Surprised you say the place is cleaned out.  Doubt the fish there were ever a resident population but I guess the whole area gets whacked over summer now.  Those boats parked up were game rigged I presume?  Or day trippers out of Houhora?  

Cheers for the head trip.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:48pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boats were there from people camping in the ground. Have never seen boats anchored up in the bay like that before, like 5 of them. Seen trawlers come in for an overnight but thats it. Ive definitely noticed the slow decline of fish over the years, its very obvious. Quite sad really.... getting onto a RIB and landing on islands and the like really means seeing the same fish life now of what Spirits used to be like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:49pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Actually, the 8kg line record for KY was set off Spirits Bay land-based, one of those Kermadecs I think....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:41am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Loved the report Scott. I wish you could change your username to DigitalFish on here :-).

Spiritsbay reminds me of the ledge to the right over the top of the sand at PortJackson, once were awesome fishing spots. PJ still delivers snapper, but not as much of the big stuff it use to. Luckily not everyone knows all the spots still huh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:43am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm never thought about the name change...makes sense.... not everyone knows about the spots but it seems we have to keep exploring to find the ones that fish 'like they used to in the good old days'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:27pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

bad expeireince with mozzies up thier