A fun solo surfcast sesh down the Bay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fun solo surfcast sesh down the Bay
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:55pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A fun solo surfcast sesh down the Bay - East coast bays

With Easterly winds turning up for the weekend and a high tide around dark with light to no wind forecasted last night I decided to head down the bay for a solo surfcast, it was a perfect tide and I do love flicking a bait out on high tide just on dark. I decided to head down a couple of hours early, I always like to get there a bit earlier to get the smell of my bait working well before that magic time of day.

The wind had died right away already and it looked like it was going to be a magic afternoon, there were a few little workups every now and then. It's always fun to catch big Kahawai from the shore, they are a very under rated fish being more of a nuisance. My first bait was out just after 6.00 with plenty of bites, lots of little ones but that's always the way and I knew I was early and didn't expect much for the first couple hours.

With the little workups around I caught a few Kahawai with the odd little Snap, each cast was instantly attacked I pretty much couldn't put the rod down all night. As the sun lowered in the sky the bites got a little better and got a few nice hits - I had missed a few nice hits when I started so went to using a keeper hook which upped my landing rate. Now into dark this is when it usual fires for me at this spot, I was getting some nice hits and in came my first keepers for the night.

The fish were getting bigger with every bait casted out, there was some nice fish turning up - I let go a few smaller mods around 30-35cm with a couple nice fish already in the bin. On my last cast around 9.30 I caught fish of the night around 50cm - it was a great arvo sesh and I just love surfcasting the Bays on those still evenings....

Tight lines

REEL KIWI Fishing Fish Whisperer #lovemyfishing