Access to Panetiki Island, Leigh

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Access to Panetiki Island, Leigh
    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 6:23pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out early this morning with the plan to fish Panetiki Island.

Found a bridge with a No Entry sign on it along Omaha Block Access Road. I followed the road up a bit further hoping to find somewhere to access the beach, but was not successful. Heaps of Private Property signs and Omaha Marae nestled up there too.

Drove back over the bridge and parked up by it. I tried walking around the rocks heading out towards Panetiki but got cut off just shy of any decent ledges to fish. With it being just the start of the incoming tide i walked back out, didnt feel like a good place to get stranded for 12 hours. Angry

Has anyone fished out there, must be some way to access those ledges up there by foot. ???

here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:04pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nope no legal foot access.Its all across private land and they DONT want you tresspassing. A lot of the land around the harbour edge is grave sites and they Will get real pissed if they catch you trying.

Take a yak or a dinghy across, tis really easy.

And beware most of the decent places are under 75cm of water come a normal high tide.

Great place for kings. Bottom fishing off the island itself is snags galore. Best spot for bottom fishing is as close to the end of the cliffs facing into the harbour as possible, but as i said, its just over knee deep at high tide there.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup I got told off by the Valhalla people 35 yrs ago never been friendly round that side of harbour... and I was almost local... family Bach at Mathesons for over 40 yrs. Actually you should be able to walk there ... my own theory but that's coast and a keen land based fisho should be able to walk it... having said that same attitude got me into trouble when I was younger. Including with a large bull at ti point which had me high tailing it, and breathless for half an hour after it chased me and my surfcaster and pack on up a steep hill. Good memories though and character building.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 8:48pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

... interesting. Cheers for the info.
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 11:09pm
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL had a danish mate and we used to bluff our way into parking at Vallhalla..

Heres a legal king from that spot!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 11:13pm
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 7:17am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish mate. There are usually people landbasing that spot when i paddle past in the kayak, they must be coming over in kayaks or small boats.