The Tamure Kid on fire

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:58pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Launched  late afternoon and was headed to the gap where redfinger said i may find a Kahawai or two. Got to edge of the channel,paused and thought about coming back again into a wind against  incoming tide. Didnt feel like getting wet. I looked to the south and looked to the west, out where the chill winds roar ,saw a windy sky and knew it wasnt over yet.
Trolled for too long along the edge of the rangi ,among the chop and the spindrift ,the odd tern ,not a touch.

The day was getting late and wanting a comfortable cruisey fish anchored up in the lea side out of wind as much as possible.
Didnt take long and some nice snapper graced the bin.All around mid 30s,one at 48cm.

Sat out there among the white caps ,the skuas ,the terns and the gulls and couldnt think of a better place to be.

And during that couple of hours i hooked 3 eagle rays & a meter long or more tope. Getting them in and cutting the hook retying traces all  consumed a good hour. All while my mate kept catching nice snaps.
Thought why was it i hooked 3 rays and my mate didnt hook one.
All he hooked were nice snapper while i was occupied by rays. Why was it. Then suddenly i knew. I had left my trusty Ray Bans at home. Nothing to ban the rays. That was it.
My mate also had a live jack mac out on a float. Not a touch.
Thinking i would have had it nearer the bottom with a light weight.
Future trips i will be targeting kings and see how it goes
Think the secret will be finding the depths they are swimming at.
Got back to the ramp at low tide, shadows falling ,and what a low tide it was.Dont know where all the water went.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:38pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good result there on the snaps- re the kingfish - if there is any bait around eg Jacks, kahawaii etc they wont be far away - whether they are hungry or not is another story. If in depths less than 12m (sommetimes 20m) i find leaving unweighted works ok but you would be wise to experiment with different weighted rigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:55pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes a good day on the snaps,but now time for a kingy. Long time since the last one. A matter of trying different spots and different depths with lives. Yesterday the Jack Macks were schooling about 3 meter above the bottom. So if any kings around they may have been down there as well at that depth. The ttk kingi inspired me to try harder.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:49pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, Cirrus. Sounds like a great day out. In terms of the kingies, I learned a lot watching Redfinger with the unweighted livie, just letting it make its own way around with the reel on light drag, ready to lock up and set the hook if it got swallowed. As he said, we did that anywhere there were decent bait schools and fish working the top. Worked very well for him a few weeks back as well. A bit like the kayak boys do, trolling a live bait around areas with bait schools.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Lord knows what would have happened if he wanted a NO2!

When I bought the FC465, you said that was your favourite thing about the FC "live bait" tank design. "A big boy's potty" I think you said in the boat yard, as I contemplated signing on the dotted line.

That's why i was a bit hesitant about taking out the bung when you ordered me to as we left for home. I thought that belly up kahawai might not be the only thing floating in the tank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Outfishing redfinger and on his boat = Legend.

I thought we might see you out there, Clay, your neck of the woods as seen in a lot of your vids. Launching from the Bays gives you so many options, a great fishery on your doorstep for all of you who live up that way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beerbatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 2:17pm
beerbatter View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work Russell and TTK.

Was out around there on Waitangi day too. Rangi Channel is loaded with good pannies. The good Rangi string pullers that we've all come to know and love. Wish I'd made it round to the gap now, was looking for some Kahawai.

The FC535CC was handling beautifully. It got quite sloppy when the SW'er picked up and apart from when I actively tried to give my mate a shower up front, it was a pretty dry and smooth ride home, really handles the slop nicely. Launched Browns Bay at dead low, retrieved at high (no beach), normally my two worse experiences, but it was all very very easy. Especially launching. Unhitched, ran the trailer in, slide the FC off in sweet FA water. Have to say Russell, I'm so bloody pleased with it all.

Anyway, this is not a paid advertisement, just a happy boatie Big smile 
In the rat race, even if you win, you're still a rat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 7:41pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Andy - I trust you are well my friend.
Its interesting how much the extra waterline length of a boat has on its handling - the extra metre you have on your fc535cc over my fc430cc is noticeable isn't it.
We launched browns bay too - at low tide and launched same way you did but managed to keep trai;er on rav4 on retrieve with just enough water.
Sounds like you did better than us on the snapper in the rangi channel - well done mate and great to see you using the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 12:28pm
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have to say that when I read that 'The Tamure Kid was on fire', I was immediately concerned for Lester's wellbeing, envisaging him adrift in the Tamaki Strait with smoke billowing out of the back of his new boat, waiting for the coastguard. Shocked

I was relieved to see that it was a actually a report of a successful fishing trip (for Lester at any rate) and not cause for any concern. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

haha, no fire extinguisher required, fortunately. 

Page  <12