Immigrant thru your customs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bht407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Immigrant thru your customs
    Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm
Bht407 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can anyone offer some advice to this visitor from the States? He has some SWF pedigree by the looks, maybe he would like to smash some kings and snaps off Meola? Anyway it's all witchcraft to me but any advice for him is appreciated. Here's his post:

We will be coming next month to enjoy your beautiful country. Will be bringing most fishing equip bit hesitant on fish net. Rubberized type that has only been in salt water. Should I bring or buy 1 there and save hassles?
Thanks
Joseph
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

They cost about $100 kiwi here. When you are finished with it you can gift it to me! Big smile I am not sure what grief you will get from customs, heaps I guess if you are or have been fishing in fresh water.

What's your story BHT? Where re you from and where are you fishing?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bht407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:40pm
Bht407 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Smudge for reply
Coming from southwest Florida where we live. Saltwater brackish for snook,trout,redfish tarpon and deep for snapper & grouper.. want to experience the BEST trout and Salmon in the world. Have a self contained so can travel with ease. Wife inexpeienc d fly and I’ve fished open bays and Gulf of Mexico with fly. 6wt. Seems light but that’s what we’ve got now (12) also but non airline trNsportBle without $$$$ consequence .
Have no itinerary except leave Christchuy6 March for Sydney. North and south..
Thank you for your time
Joe & Janis s
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bht407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:41pm
Bht407 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

6wt or flies never been in water so don’t expect a lot of hassles. Am I wrong to assume that? If so I will leave all flies here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hmmm, that's not my thing but I'll put your post up in the SWF section, see if we can get you some help. Auckland has a lot of potential for all types of saltwater fishing, the South Island has some great freshwater options for rainbow & brown trout and salmon but I don't know the best seasons for fishing them
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bht407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:49pm
Bht407 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for reply, I fully understand customs issue and want to follow what is requested. Fully appreciate their /your concerns for immigration of unwanted garbage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:55pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

They seem totally ok about saltwater flies but are very nervous about anything that has been near freshwater. If it's all new tackle with tags still attached it helps a lot. You're right in considering that a used freshwater landing net would be too much for them- they would probably send it away for sterilisation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 8:10pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would pick up your flies locally. Flies contain animal products (feathers usually) and might be an issue unless you can get better advice from someone who knows for sure. Each area you fish will have a few flies that work best and a visit to the local tackle shop is always a fun thing when visiting a new country. Your 6wt is fine for a lot of our fresh water trout waters but a 7wt would be a better allrounder. The 6wt won't be too good for our saltwater species though. Will be under-gunned by a decent margin in a lot of instances.
Saltwater fly is more a north of the north island thing and the fresh water trout fishing is pretty much anywhere from the central north island to the bottom of the south island. Main North Island trout areas are Rotorua (lakes mostly), Taupo (lakes and rivers), and Hawkes Bay (mountain rivers mostly). There are plenty of other areas as well but those would be the three main ones. In the South Island the fresh water trout fishing more or less starts at one end and finishes at the other. Salt water fishing generally isn't as good as it is further North but there are still some good areas to visit if you have a boat. Salmon fishing in NZ is limited and hard work compared to what you could get closer to home so I would target the trout which can be exceptional.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 8:15pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Joe and Janis,

It's MPI Biosecurity, not so much customs that you need to worry about. Customs is more about duty. Biosecurity is about preventing pests and diseases from coming into the country.

Make a list of your gear, take some photos and send an email with the list and photos to [email protected] for advice on meeting biosecurity requirements.

Generally saltwater gear is not such a problem, the important thing is to ensure all gear is fully CLEANED (very detailed), completely DRY and DECLARED fully on arrival as per your arrival card. 

Your items maybe inspected so pack them easily accessible and all together to make it easy for the officers and faster for you. Most likely you will just be asked some questions about your gear and how you use it.

Don't bring felt soled wading boots and make sure any camping and hiking equipment is also clean and dry especially tents and hiking boots. 

When cleaning think about things like soil on or inside tent poles or even small seeds stuck to used socks. 

Have a browse of the saltwater fly forum section and you will find lots of info on saltwater fly fishing around Auckland and NZ and plenty of help as well if you post questions.

https://fishandgame.org.nz/ is the best starting point for researching trout and salmon fishing, then ask the guys in the freshwater forum for more details. They have detailed maps and downloadable guides to most of the fish-able water around the country.

Hope that helps and all the best for your trip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 5:56pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive come and gone with fishing gear heaps,
never had to open any bags

just boxes to tick on leaflets,
pretty hardcore
id be worriedLOL

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 6:55pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

><(((*>    J
><(((*>