likely broadbill spot?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: likely broadbill spot?
    Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 3:48pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have a bit of ground most  likely to be the area to find a broadbill. Just wondering which bit would be the most likely area to look.
Basically a trench that drops off from 200m down to 4-500m then rises to an end of a underwater peninsula, peaking at around 320m. This plateau then falls away on the seaward side down to 6-800m. So we have a trench at around 4-500m, then a peninsula at 320m - (we fish this for groper/bluenose etc), then some seriously deep water.
Should we be looking on the slopes, in the bottom of the trench (3-5km across) , on the flat area of the peninsula or the slopes to the really deep water ?
We have generally drifted around the plateau and the slopes on the edge down to around 400m. No luck so far. We wonder if not looking deep enough? or maybe nobody home.
Thanks
Alan   
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:37pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi,

I am far from an expert, in my limited experience with swords, I would be concentrating in the depths of 500m plus for day time dropping. Slopes appeal and sounds like a good area based on your description. Shallower than 500m increases by catch of sharks, bluenose and other species, 500m or deeper generally means these are eliminated in my experience. If they are present and your rigs are working and presented well, they are not fussy on bait type. Hope this helps, plenty others know more than me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:03pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, thanks. We can go 500m+ on the far side of the peninsula (40k out). Take your point about dropping off the by-catch. I was just figuring that they might hang out where the other fish hang out. Figured if not much lurking in 600m, maybe no point them being there too. We catch frostfish at 350m also - along with the bluenose etc. But to date, definitely no swords. And yes, sharked from time to time.
Believe it or not last time fishing at 350m (week ago) we got nailed by spiny dogs and a blind eel! No escaping them.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member