LED trailer lights

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If nothing on that light is working could be a faulty earth return wire.

Connections being submerged in salt water will always be an issue surely...

Trailer connections period
 As I said I still have std lights..
 any connections , maybe bit unconventional, I strip out some old cable, take the sleeve about 3 to 4"" long.. put over the wires.. then solder them together.. smear bathroom silicone, and couple wraps quality 3M electrical tape... then another smear of silicone, and as slip the sleeve over , pack with more silicone as it goes over, then 3 time wrap at 1/3 over lap another layer of 3m tape

I have trailers over 20 yrs old, no issues, phone cable under ground to sheds, the boat trailer 7 yrs...even the cable that runs the pond punp... about 25 yrs.

I think one of the trailers was just twisted wire joints from memory

Putting an loop across the chassis , if one side goes down, the other still gets a feed....except for indicator blights of coarse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 10:00pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

do yourself a favour. but the lights with 9 metres of leads. that way you cun run the leads all the way to the plug or junction box without joins. 90% of faults will be in the joins or the earth wire at the plug.

If you have to run them through the box section I use a piece of high tensile wire and shove that up the box section till you can get a loop of braid onto it. pull wire back out dragging said braid with it. Attach end of wiring cable to braid and pull back through to plug end of trailer. easy.

Solder the wires where the plug into the trailer pins. So many people just twist them together and shove them in. That's hopeless and will give out in no time.

5 minutes extra time and attention to detail will save you grief in the long run.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:01pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So I ran out time and patience, booked in with local Auto Electrician (not to be named). Dropped it off this morning, just got a call saying can they do it next week?! Not much point taking a booking if they can't do the work! 2 hours of traffic added to my day for nothing, not happy.

So I will just buy the Hella lights off him and do it myself. Question now is, go up in the box section again and get as water proof a join as I can in the drawbar. OR go out side, cable ties to box section, and join it at the winch post.

Rang Enduro trailers, they're aren't interested, "that's just the way we do it mate"

Has anyone else got one of these Enduro trailers (must be some out there). Have you had any problems with the join in the wiring?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok .. 40 odd yrs trailer wiring, underground ethernet, pho0nes, cable to water pump in the garden pond... list goes on

Lot failures.. anfd this is what works fot the last 25 yrs.. including the phone ethernet trailers... and pond

Get a off cut length of heavy duty  240 extenstion cords lead.. about 10" long.. strip out the internal wires leaving a tube.
Thread you cable thru..and slide out of the way
 solder the wires.. but offset them a little.
 Quality insulation tape around.. 900V 3m.. over lap 1/3   2 layers.
Now smear bathroom silicone over the join and build up at the end the lead cable tube is.
Start sliding the tube over, packing more silicone in and give a little twist as it goes on.
 Force in more from each end
 3 layers  1/3 over lape quailty insulation tape, stretched up tight.
 Do not move for 24 hrs.

The connection to the car.. solder the ends of the wires, put into the connector.. check all the wiring is good...fill the connector with silicone, and screw on the lid.

Bit unconventional..  over kill, but it works forever.
 Have extra length for the connector thu.. one day you will forget to plug it in , or run over it , forget to un plug, and break it... extra length allows to simply chop it off and replace.

I run trailer cables inside box sections where can.. they cant be rubbed , banged, crushed,  damaged.
 Cable tie each end, so no stress can be made to the cable in the box section , or any connections.

The only hasstle is I ever have with my trailer lights, boat or the others is occasionally need top spread the connector pins 1/4 mm for good connection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:12pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps. I will add some of those ideas to my install.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sain Zabi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:39am
Sain Zabi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So I’ve wired a couple of trailers and fixed a couple for mates (I’m a industrial sparky by trade – a long time ago…)

I applied the same as what I would do for cable jointing in wet or underground.

Get yourself some 3m glued heat shrink, 3:1 shrink ratio, for going over the outside of the total cable, make sure it goes past the stripped section by 75-100mm on both sides of the finished joint area.

Don’t try and make the jointed area to short.

When you join the individual wires, don’t make them the same length, stagger them so the joins are not in the same place, ie from the stripped out cover, cut the green at 40mm, red at 60mm, etc… The reason for this is it makes a smaller diameter joint and also makes it a bit more flexible for resistance to vibration wearing.

Put smaller heat shrink on to the wires, again make sure you have a decent over lap for the actual stripped copper bit, 20 mm each way.

Strip the internal wires. I would suggest about 15mm

When you join the copper, lightly twist both together (make sure you have clean fingers while doing this, ie keep the copper as clean as possible – it makes it easy and better to solder), and solder. Best way is soldering iron under the wires, and ‘walk’ the solder from the iron onto and around the wire – you should end up with the solder being on the top of the wire while the iron is under it.

It will sort of suck into the joint – hard to describe, you’ll see it happen though, it means the solder is right through the joint. The joint shouldn’t have any ‘blobs’ siding on the bottom and should be smooth looking – no copper sticking out or solder sharp bits.

Then shrink the internal heat shrink and slide down the outer glued heat shrink and shrink down.

Over all joint area should be around 200mm and outside heat shrink around 350-400mm

If you want to get really into it, you can wrap the internals with self amalgamating tape before the out side heat shrink gets shrunk, but three is a bit of a knack getting that correct – ie you need to put it between the internal wires as well as around for it to actual do anything, and can/does make the joint slightly bigger. I would personally do it though.

I haven’t ever heard of any that I’ve done this way crapping out. Doesn’t take to long to do either.

And as above, certainly solder the 'tails' that go into the screw connections in the plug.

And if you have some of the heat shrink from the above joint (the outside glued stuff), I'd use a 100-200mm section right on the end where it gets clamped in the plug down the cable. will stop the outter cover being pulled away at the plug

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 12:19pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks, sound like I need to get round to JA Russell for some bits and brush up my soldering skills...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:41pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have long used normal non insulated crimps, on tinned wire, heat shrink on them and one big one over the lot.
Self amalgamating tape is brilliant if used properly. I have pulled up bore pumps, 30m underwater with amalgamating tape on them, still fine,
Silicone grease or vaseline in trailer plugs.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 8:42pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A few hours messing around today and job done. New Hellas purchased and installed.

Wires re routed outside the box section trailer. Wires crimped and heat shrinked, whole join double layer heat shrinked. Everything works and peace of mind knowing it is done right.

Thanks for all the advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:11am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great job Clap - and the bonus of satisfaction at getting it done properly at last.  (if you are like me still wondering why it wasn't done right first time Angry) and now you know what a good job looks like - good to know with boats!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gary Roe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 12:54am
Gary Roe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Excuse me, I have a problem with my led trailer light. Wired and installed these and everything works except no constant running lights. Brakes and blinkers working but that’s all. Any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:56am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Gary Roe Gary Roe wrote:

Excuse me, I have a problem with my led trailer light. Wired and installed these and everything works except no constant running lights. Brakes and blinkers working but that’s all. Any suggestions?
"Constant running lights" - do you mean the orange lights normally mounted on the front of the mudguards?
These turn on with the tail lights on my trailer. 

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:36pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

constant running lights you would need to wire into daytime running lamps and go from there.....most people would wire thru taillight and rely on that for night driving.....
OP they are definitely Trojan lights
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:39pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when replacing old lights tie a bit of string or flexi pipe to the wires running from yr plug easier to feed them back that way
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 9:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

constant running lights you would need to wire into daytime running lamps and go from there.....most people would wire thru taillight and rely on that for night driving.....

Or simply turn on the park lights during the day..Big smile

< defer="" ="https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js" -cf-beacon=""rayId":"602b4ba7fafdfd36","version":"2020.12.1","si":10">
Page  <12