Outboard services

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ian45036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outboard services
    Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 12:14pm
Ian45036 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a mobile outboard service done on my boat June 2017. I work abroad and came home Dec 2017. Got my pride and joy out to use it and she don’t go.
After a bit of inspection I realise that the outboard had been reassembled incorrectly.
The forward/reverse spline had been put back in the incorrect position.
I also noted the oil had not been replaced.
I called the outboard service technition. He came out and pulled the bottom off the outboard and promptly bottled the old oil and took it away (leaving a huge oil pool on my concrete driveway) due to not having new oil to replace the old with.
You’d think for a service that cost me $845 that says oil, spark plugs, filters replaced that this would be included.
A week later tech returns. Replaced oil.
While this has been done he place the outboard hood on my fence. It falls and is damaged. He takes this away to fix.
The spline is now in the correct position as it can manually be put into reverse and neutral using the fly by wire operation. The forward now no longer works.
I call the tech to tell him that it does not work still. He mentions to leave hood off and do it manually... I’m inform him I will not.
After 1 month I head off to work and have not been able to use my boat all December so I called him and asked if when I come home I would be able to use my boat.
Today 17/01/18 I’m home. I check on the 175 mercury verado and the hood is back on with glue holding the damaged area together.
Due to bad weather I cannot test my boat yet.
This has convinced me that mobile servicing is being done by (not tarring all with same brush) by some very disappointing characters.
Effectively I paid $845 to have my summer holiday ruined and not to mention my boat outboard. My confidence is damaged.
Is this common these days?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 12:50pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'd say it's not 'common' but it's not 'unheard of'.

How did you choose to engage the services of this character? 

Who usually does your servicing?

Did you obtain references?

You seem to have engaged a rogue trader.

Have you paid the bill?

><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 12:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1/ spend 10 mins fill out small claims court form and pay the $20 (?)
2. work out the time spent filling form, sorting out the time line a/c any communications etc,  the 3 hrs getting to the court.
3/ The cost to actually repair the cover back to fully painted  including decals(and replace) any other damage, inconvenience
 4/ add all that up plus the , initial bill and divide by the number hrs . That is there hrly rate , tax free required to take to court.
 Is that a good rate?
 A pm sent.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Or try talking to him first and let him know you're not happy if that hasn't already happened
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:42pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You sound like a very patient person.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ian45036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 5:40am
Ian45036 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Foxtroy Oscar,
Bill paid in full June 2017. I didn’t come home until Dec n trusted this guy.
Other friend have used this service and recommended him.
They have all been informed of the results of my listening to them.
Tried to used the boat yesterday and it is still faulty.
I will have to drag it up to Whangarei and get Warren Hays to fix it. That’s where I have gone previously.
Convenience was what I was after.
I think it’s going to be a very big bill this time.
Small claims I shall begin the process..
At least the weather has sympathy for me at the moment being windy.
Went to three Kings last May so still got fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ian45036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 5:42am
Ian45036 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi White snake,
All I wanted is my boat to go. Kept my cool just so it would get results. Failed big time.
The gloves are off now.
Hay makers n uppercuts from here on out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ian45036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 5:48am
Ian45036 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Smudge,
I’ve called him without results so far.
I actually have seen that he is recommended on this forum. Kawau region.
I’ll persue him again today.
Cheer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ian45036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 5:58am
Ian45036 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

FOXTROT OSCAR. Sorry for my clumsy thumb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:16am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No Prob's Ian. Thanks for the updates.
I understand now that you were overseas for a long time so bill paid some time ago.
'Recommended by friends' is usually a good way of getting reliable service in any trade so your friends will be very interested to hear of your experience.

><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 7:43am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Disturbing and very sad story - as you say recommended by friends - doesn't seem to add up - I would be expecting guy to come round and give you (at the very least) a full explanation - I wonder if someone else did job for him that week?
I guess with a shop you have somewhere to go and wait for answers...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.