What gave my livebait a hickey?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What gave my livebait a hickey?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:20pm
crispy12120 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So I went out for a wharf mish with my trusty fin nor biscayne 80 the other day in the never ending quest to catch my first kingi and had livies out all arvo. Looked over to see my rod bent over but no hook up. I could feel the kahawai still swimming so reeled it in to take a look. 

Sadly due to me trying to lob it out, the hook ripped and I had to euthanise the poor fish. 

It came back with a bite mark, does anyone wanna guess what fish left the mark? 

Bonus is I had a great fight catching my first eagle ray on a fillet of the above kahawai

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 3:50pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couta

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 4:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hammerhead. The eagles go well eh? Did it break the surface?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Couta

Cheers

All the fish I've seen hit by coutta (and I've seen a bunch down here, bloody things) look like they've been slashed with a knife.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:04pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I struggle to see any bite mark in that pic? anything with nasty teeth would have sliced it.....I reckon it was a 45 kg kingfish that took it in its mouth and then spat it out LOL
     Better go down and have another go.........eagle rays are bloody strong for their size....I had my 6500 sending up smoke with some evil runs from a 50 pound one of them.....they feel just like a king and are good practise for when you hook a king...awesome when they jump too.
p.s try a live piper if you can catch one.......be bloody careful with the barbed tail of any ray.....They are like an arrow head  <<<<
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:11pm
crispy12120 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Couta

Cheers

Haven't caught one of those before! Too bad you can't eat em. 

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Hammerhead. The eagles go well eh? Did it break the surface?

Ah that would be interesting! 

Yeah it put up a fantastic fight and jumped twice! Easily the best fight I've had (either that or the 20kg tope I caught a while back!). I'm thankful for the 100lb trace as the ray got behind some wharf pilings but fortunately the line stayed strong. Still looking for a kingfish though!

Here's a pic of it in action - this is at the Kauri Pt wharf 

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

All the fish I've seen hit by coutta (and I've seen a bunch down here, bloody things) look like they've been slashed with a knife.

I've heard they've got very sharp teeth!

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

I struggle to see any bite mark in that pic? anything with nasty teeth would have sliced it.....I reckon it was a 45 kg kingfish that took it in its mouth and then spat it out LOL
     Better go down and have another go.........eagle rays are bloody strong for their size....I had my 6500 sending up smoke with some evil runs from a 50 pound one of them.....they feel just like a king and are good practise for when you hook a king...awesome when they jump too.
p.s try a live piper if you can catch one.......be bloody careful with the barbed tail of any ray.....They are like an arrow head  <<<<

Hahaha it was more like a hickey. I'd like to go down and have another go, to see what it was! 
They sure put up a great fight! It gets interesting when they just stay at the same spot though, a bit of a stalemate. 

Cheers for the tips! I am pretty keen on not getting near the ray's barbs hahahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ctrispy when they go and sit on the bottom get a heap of tension on them and then start plucking the line like a guitar and most times that will get them moving again. They put up a great fight alright. I fish down by Omokoroa a lot mainly with 2 kg line and get a lot of eagle rays in the 2-7kg range and they are real fun on the silly string.

Also I agree with Laidbackdood put out a live piper or if you can get a jack mackerel put that out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 12:55pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Eat the eagle ray !! ! Alot like scallop meat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 5:22pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have heard of fish shops selling scallop shaped bits of stingray as scallops without the roe