UW Lights Location

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UW Lights Location
    Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:07pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This week I've started a bit of re-wire of the boat. 

This will include fitting underwater LED lights to the back end as I am very fond of mackerel, which there are plenty of in Tasman Bay. 

My boat has an outboard pod which (by design) floods when the boat is at rest and drain when it is on the plane.

I can locate the UW lights either on the transom or on the pod.

The advantage of the pod location is that both sides of the mounting and cables holes are a wet area, so if one of the holes leaks it's no drama.  The down side is the wires will be submerged when the boat is at rest - generally a bad idea in an alloy boat.

The transom location is the opposite, the wires will stay dry(ish) up high in the bilge but a leak in a cable or mounting hole will be a proper leak into the bilge.

I can't decide which option is best.

Thoughts?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:05pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I put mine under the pod on brackets.
This way they are angled for the prop and teaser and down more.
While the cable is in the water that doesn't worry me, lights are a sealed unit and I left a loop should I have to ever replace them.
Tried to find a pic but can't, 650 Surtees
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:26pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check with your LED light supplier before installing.
Some lights they reccomend leaving in the water when they are on.
If you  locate in a location that allows them to be dry (say when boat is on the plane) when left on, they might not last as long.
Had this discussion last year with a supplier....decided to hard so did not install. 
I am fool enough to probably leave the lights on all the time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:22pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I put mine in the transom, they have to be Submerged when they a on or they overheat.

Drilled a hole big enough for the cable and used heaps of sikaflex to seal it up and the holes for the screws don’t have to go all the way through so drilled them deep enough and filled them with sika flex too.

I also put a big bead of sika flex around the outside edge of the lights so in theory no water will even get to the holes let alone in the holes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I guess on an alloy boat the srcews/bolts will need to go through the transom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 8:31am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The lights didn't come with any instructions saying they had to be submerged when on.  But either way (transom or pod) they will be out of the water when the boat is on the plane.

I have an LED indicator panel for the dashboard that will show me if the UW lights are switched on so it shouldn't be an issue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 8:41am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

I guess on an alloy boat the screws/bolts will need to go through the transom.

Yes - whatever surface they are mounted on they will be held in place with stainless bolts, nuts and washers (duralac to isolate from hull).

Each light needs three holes. One for the power cable and two for the bolts.  The lights in theory seal around the holes .... I'm sketical about that and I'll be using a cable gland and 3M 5200 adhesive sealant.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:06am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had three cheapy underwater lights on my last boat which I picked up on special for $30/each http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/electrical/lighting-underwater/56298/blue-underwater-above-led-surface-mount-light/details/
2 white ones were attached to my hartop handrail as deck lights.  These were on for about 6-7 years with no issues with overheating and still going strong when I sold the boat

1 blue one was on the transom and on whenever my anchor light was on.  This one was on the boat for about three years and was out of the water and on when washing the boat down when I returned in the evenings.  Never had an issue with it overheating either or any issues with water getting in the unit.

I figured that at the price I paid for them they would be easy to replace should they die which they never did.

On my new boat build, my boat builder was keen to attach some flash 6-700 dollar units.  We have stuck to the cheaper wilco units as they have done the job for me in the past.  Possibly not as many lumens as the more expensive units but perfectly fine for what we want.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:38am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I ran a couple of those lights that FarmerBrowne mentions for 4 years on my last boat. One of them was still going when I sold the boat but the other had been replaced twice because water got into the lens and it stopped working. They created this really neat looking blue light around the boat but I'm not sure if it made any real difference because I only have a floodlight on my current boat and I reckon this brings just as much bait around at night, both in close and out wide. I also can't say with any confidence that the lights on my previous boat raised game fish during the day as I didn't notice any difference in that regard but I didn't have a polished ss prop either to reflect the light down into the water.

Also I recall Firmans at Napier had a stand set up in their showroom that ran these cheapie lights alongside a more expensive one (OceanLED) I think. The more expensive light was noticeably brighter from new - it was difficult to look directly at either of them. After a few months the cheapie had become noticeably dimmer with no noticeable change to the more expensive one.

So what I am suggesting is;
1. these two particular lights do not need to be immersed in water to operate.
2. The more expensive ones do last longer, although I doubt whether us rec boaties would ever stack the hours up like those display lights did so not sure if this would ever become an issue for anyone running the cheapies.