Switch panel and fuse setup

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haydensam70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switch panel and fuse setup
    Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:40pm
haydensam70 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have just installed some nav lights and I’m wanting to run them and the other accessories through a switch panel. I’d also like a fuse panel to have all my accessories fuses in one place and labeled for easy access.
Just wondering if anyone has done something similar, how do you go about it and what switch boards/fuse panels are the best to use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:59pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can buy a small circuit breaker panel that is effectively the switches and fuses in one panel. BEP and Blue Seas make a range of these and there are less expensive ones available as well. How many circuits are you switching and what would be the biggest load (Amps)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:30pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A complete wiring set up will include: -

1) Main positive and negative supply leads (pos lead protected by a circuit breaker or heavy duty fuse).
2) A positive bus  - a terminal block connecting the main positive lead from the battery, and all of the individual device leads connect to.
3) A negative bus
4) Fuses or circuit breakers
5) Switches

Circuit breaker panels are good way to go - as Tagit says they combine circuit protection and switching.  Also .... if you daisy chain wire the CB panel with suitable gauge cable you eliminate a positive bus too.  You will still need a negative bus.

Alternately you can buy fuse blocks from Narva or from Blue Seas that have the positive and negative buses built in. 

I use Narva's 54450 fuse box 
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/fuse-boxes

With BEP's 6 way switch panel.
https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/boating/electrical-lighting/meters-distribution/6-way-switch-panel

Although the BEP panel comes with in-line fuse holders, I remove these (messy).

I've noticed that Narva have started supplying a rocker switch panel that comes with either an in-built fuse block or in-built push button circuit breakers.  I haven't tried them.

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/sealed-led-switch-panels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good info.
Son in laws boat (Fyran 440) had dodgy electrics after a second hand motor was installed.
A quick bit of cable tracing found all +ve wires & -ve soldered to a length of what looked like domestic 2 core cable
Sorted by marine grade cable and a switch panel run through +Ve and -Ve busbars.
When I installed an anchor winch I used proper crimps and adhesive heatshrink on the terminal connections
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:02am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's worth getting your own crimping gear.  Reasonable quality ratchet crimping pliers (e.g. Narva's ones) will handle 10 AWG or lighter cables.

If you use the crimp terminals with adhesive-heat-shrink and then apply a layer of adhesive-heat-shrink tube over the top, you have a mechanically secured, double glued and double sealed terminal.