What Kayak to Buy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grantt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Kayak to Buy
    Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
Grantt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm based in Takapuna and if I'm honest will only travel 2-3 times a year to go elsewhere. I plan to paddle and fish (softbait) to the edge of the channel and the lighthouse and around Rangi more often than not. I am currently looking for the best kayak to suit these needs and have got it down to two types. A Viking Profish 440 or Reload OR a Hobie of some sort. The idea of the fins and using your legs appeals to me and I'd be interested in any feedback positive or negative or opinions anyone has found to work best.

Thanks

Grant
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:36pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Grant...I am currently using a reload and its a good kayak....very stable in the water and comfortable to paddle....but with any kayak make sure it has a rudder as this makes it easier to maintain heading when a breeze is blowing....I would probably suggest the Profish if all you are looking to is the fishing above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grantt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:44pm
Grantt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the comment. Several people have suggested the same thing.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:41pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Grant, was there anything in particular about the Stealth range that excluded it from your top two?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would say that is a serious kayak JT for a guy who likes to paddle far and wide. The thought of owning a stealth even daunts me and i have looked at it more than once. The main thing you want in the Rangi channel is stability it gets very rocky out there some days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:00pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Reload and Hobie are pretty serious kayaks as well.  You need to be pretty careful around the rocks with the Hobie.  We were fishing with a gentlemen last year up in Whangarei who damaged his motor on a unseen rock there.  I think it was an expensive mistake.

As far as stability, you can stand up in a Fisha 500 so not too many issues there.

All three a very good kayaks.  If you are going to be adventurous and go out in conditions with a bit of chop and/or current, I'd stick with something that has a bit more speed and will get you back to your launch spot so you do not have to do an impromptu camping trip on Rangitoto.  Extreme I know, but you need to consider these things in your safety plan each time you launch.

I'll say it again, all three are very good kayaks and you would be buying quality with any of the platforms mentioned Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:09am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm a retired kayak fisho, so feel free to ignore me, but any of the yaks mentioned would be good. If I was going to buy another kayak, I would look seriously at the Predator PDL, but would want a trailer to transport it. 

Pedals/fins aren't a problem in themselves, but yes, you do have to avoid rocks. Most boaties seem to manage it and a serious fishing yak will have a sounder/GPS. As far as I know, all of the drive systems on the pedal kayaks are retractable/removable for shallow water work and you can paddle them too if you really want to. 

As for Stealth, bloody good kayaks and their offshore record is proven. However, I'm not sure a glass yak is suitable for a beginner. Perhaps with the right advice/mentoring/mindset it could work out OK, but plastic is more forgiving of the cock ups we all make when we start out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:42am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah there is that too MB fibreglass is not as forgiving as plastic that is for sure I know BMY is precious about his "precious". LOL Great kayaks and really fast but I did feel tippy when I tried one but I would not think it would take long to compensate balance in one but I doubt I would feel as comfortable in one. I would not fish at anchor in a stealth though.

Also think of the $$$ you can get a fully loaded PF400 with tackle pod, rudder, fish storage, FF etc for not too much more than a basic ruddered Reload for example and less than a basic Hobie. Plus the FF install is very easy and anchor fishing is easy too.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grantt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:25pm
Grantt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great advice guys thanks.