How do you determine what weight?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you determine what weight?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:47am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Having never tried this type of fishing before I’m curious as to what makes you choose one weight or the other when using the squid jigs?
I have one quiet bay in mind which ranges from 3-10metres in depth and I have seen squid there lately.
Cheers for any help
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:37am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sink rate. Bigger the lure, faster they sink (with exceptions, see below).

if the water is shallow and potentially snaggy, it's a brave person who ties on a 3.0 or a 3.5 if they are using $20 a pop lures.

But people also use smaller jigs (e.g. 1.5-2.0)early in the season when the squid are small and less likely to get hooked on a big jig, though they may still attack it. Smaller jigs still get down, just take longer.

Conversely, when the squid are big, some real pros have 'shallow' rated jigs in the larger sizes - theory is the more aggressive big squid will take on a big lure.

If it's very deep, there are 'deep' rated lures. Faster sink rate than the equivalent in the same size.

You don't mention whether you're going after them at night or in the day. My advice would be that if it's daytime, go with a more natural colour - baitfish or prawn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 1:45pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oh mean thanks dude!
Will be night sessions while anchored for the night.
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 3:47pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool, in that case it is worth trying something with a bit of lumo that you can re-charge with a torch. 

Back your drag right off so you don't rip the jig out or a tentacle off, and net your squid from behind - they jet backwards. Rookie mistake that nearly cost me a good one.

Iki in the rear part of the head or break the neck membrane with your fingers, they will turn white before your eyes. on to the ice. When it comes to cleaning them, do it over the stern of the boat, the ink is hellish to get out of just about anything!
Delicious.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 3:54pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

oh mean thanks dude- got my 7 year old to manage the netting part.... Wink  ill make sure to film him
Boat Name- Solace