Fishfinder/GPS Combo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blud01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishfinder/GPS Combo
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:44pm
Blud01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All, just got my first jet ski, and am in the process of kitting it out. Have made up my own chillybin/rod holder setup but am now looking for advice regards to a Fishfinder and transducer combos. Any help would be appreciated.
Also am looking to get out with anyone willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks Mike

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:35pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mate, feel free to give Robert Sim from Kiwi Jetski a call on 0212598558.
He deals in Lowrance and Simrad so can give you a bit of info about these 2 brands, I got my Lowrance Hook 9 from him.
He's a jetski fisherman himself and has been experimenting with transducer installs on jetskis with great success
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't think there is anything special required for a jetski sounder, but it needs to be waterproof and mounting the display and the transducer require some thought. The old style Humminbirds were awesome in this respect as the connectors were integrated into the mount. 

I made a bracket for the transducer (external mount). It's just a section of 50mm aluminium strip bent in to an S-shape and connected via boarding step bolts. It was only meant to be a temporary solution, but it worked so well, I decided to keep it.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
matto1234 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im looking at the Garmin units as i prefer buttons on a moving ski and no wet finger issues like on touch screens and ipx7 waterproof if i recall correctly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaYa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:09pm
SeaYa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have the Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro, the transducer is internally mounted on the floor of the hull, seems to work really well as they are a long slim transducer.  

Was advised to go for a button rather than touch screen also and have been stoked with the resultreally like the CHIRP view for clarity in fresh and salt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blud01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:51am
Blud01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the help everyone, hope to get it sorted sooner rather than later, the fish won't wait.