DIY jigs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY jigs
    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:21pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Making my own jigs.
Anyone have any thoughts on using ball sinkers
(painted for decoration) on 'Slider' style jigs instead of the head shaped one bought in the shops.
Renders them much easier to make and personally I can't see any real technical reasons as it's main job is to sink the skirt/hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, it works. I used these in lumo: http://www.kliksinkers.com/

It didn't save me any money, but I wanted a quick change slider. I even went to the trouble of gluing eyes on to them at one point, but don't think it made any difference LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:11pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Adastra, the head or sliding weight does little in terms of the attraction. The head can be a ball sinker or an arrow shaped sinker for faster sinking time. 

It is the skirt trailing behind the sinker sliding up the trace/leader that is the attractant with its gentle movements resembling a small squid, cuttlefish or prawn. 

Some folk like the lumo ball sinkers, others will paint ball or egg sinker shapes and apply a UV glow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:54pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Indeed. Once upon a time, 4 years ago.....I flattened and painted a ball sinker, to make a Kabura jig.
Never got used though.......I'm great at 'project management and product development' but when it comes to to testing I resort to Lightbulb jig heads and Zman paddle tails in New Penny because.......they catch fish.....'cause that's what I use
Go figure.
(Currently tying various patterns of Skute, but looking at Nathan's on BAF, it looks to be a copy of a fly style half Clouser, Half Deceiver that he was using in the Fly Guy episodes)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 1:27pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your thoughts.
I know making these won't save me any money in the short term but I just like to mess around in my 'shed' when I cannot get out on the water (which due to continuous fickle weather, has become annoyingly too often here in Hawkes Bay).
I had a play around with skutes a few weeks ago. Gave the pattern to a mate who is good at fly-tying.
Took two fat Kowhai but nothing else as yet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:30pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I made this a while ago.  The head is just a ball sinker that I put on a flat surface and hit with a hammer to give me a couple of flat surfaces to glue the eyes on.  It's painted with glow in the dark nail polish, note that you need to paint the sinker with a couple of coats of white nail polish first.  In use the paint will eventually chip off, but it does on the bought ones as well.  The "eyes" are just flat backed plastic "jewels".  The eyes and nail polish all came from the local $2 store.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 3:56pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looks good. Have you scored with it?
I have some underway at present.
Use a rasp to file the flats for the eyes. Sounds though that a hammer would be quicker!
The eyes I use come from Aliexpress as does the material for the skirts and assist hooks.
What's with the nail polish for the paint job? I've heard about using that.
I currently use white all purpose undercoat and topcoat with water based enamel. Those that I would use in deeper water 4-5 coats of 'Glow Paint' from Spotlight.