Upturned outboard

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shanedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upturned outboard
    Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:48pm
Shanedog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys, I managed to flip my boat over in the surf Xmas morning after returning from a dive with the family. Motor had been turned off and I was trimming it up when it was pushed sideways. The boat was upside down in about a foot of water for a few seconds before we turned it back over again. I flushed the motor out and everything ran fine but I have taken it in to the experts for a thourough clean up and damage report for insurance. My question is, will the motor ever be safe from corrosion issues and will it eventually leave me up the creek without a paddle. I will be weighing up costs with insurance against putting a new motor on for piece of mind. Motor is a 40hp merc and only done 50hrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:31am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bugger mate! If it helps.. the surf life saving guys constantly flip their IRBs and they strip the motors down do some voodo magic (clean them up) put them together and continue to use them as most clubs cant afford to replace. Just food for thought. (No electrical stuff though)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:04am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's a story - my brother took our boat over to barrier towed behind yacht - lost on way over recovered 2 days later upside down only bow visible - as over  in barrier he rang boat shop - told to remove plugs fill with fresh water turn over by hand and then same with liquid wd40 - then as soon as able to (took a week as electrics melted) run motor under load (on trailer in gear) to get warm.  Ran for 2 months, developed a rattle then threw a rod out crankcase - when stripped down crankcase full of rust!
I think what he should have done (and didn't want to ) was immediately strip motor and clean out - if you have this done you should be ok - but like you say what happens in 3 months time?  Sounds like you may be ok but I think if you decide on strip and clean only you want a guarantee in writing (which they probably wont give) from insurer or shop if anything goes wrong down the line. 
I would insist on replacement for peace of mind....but I am sure insurer will wriggle on this?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shanedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:12am
Shanedog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah replacement is certainly my first choice, but will wait and see what insurance scemes up. I may have to revisit the bank and top up with the extra $$$ .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:24am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had the same thing happen to me with a Yamaha 30, they would have simply done the rebuild but I had lost the cowling which bumped the total price up so they replaced the whole engine.

Chances are if the only damage is from being upturned they will just clean it up.  2 strokes are not that complicated, they will probably just replace the electronics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shanedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:20am
Shanedog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not sure what is being done to it, but the insurance payout is more than the cost of a new motor, as they have claimed on all my other electronics, handheld vhf and fix mounted vhf which are waterproof šŸ˜•, along with my lowrance elite5 and battery. All I know is the sea is flat af and Iā€™m still boatless lol