Harling Lake Taupo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harling Lake Taupo
    Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:30am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out yesterday quite choppy as windy - no bites was out 4 weeks ago and several trout then.

I am wondering if fish have gone deeper now as water temperatures will be higher - may be time to start jigging as not setup for trolling deeper?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 9:15pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should still catch a few very early or late but jigging definitely your best bet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:28am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Should still catch a few very early or late but jigging definitely your best bet.

Hi Russell - all good I hope?  Yes I think you are right thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 9:39am
Titanium
Titanium

Went out dawn this morning flat calm 3 Trout all 40cm plus size in 30 miins harling with gold & red toby lots of line out (4-5 colours) just off Kuratau ramp.
Lots of boats going out despite New Year hangovers for some...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:16am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one. As Redfinger said, it's pre-dawn and into very last light when you should do the best just inside the drop off, particularly with all the boat traffic.

It might be worth trying pure harling with two colours out and a long trace using smelt flies, rather than hardware. Or you could do a hybrid and run a smelt fly off the leader running down to the lure (usually with a Cobra or similar at the end).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 5:44pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We did ok earlier this year working between omori and kuratau boat ramps - was deep trolling though but a good area that I hear holds lots of fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:05am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 26/1/19   7 to 9:30am

Harled off Waitahanui in 7m using 2 colours of lead line.  Baz had a yellow lady and ginger mick, while I tied on a fly with yellow feather, green body and red tips, along with a ginger mick.  We returned 5 slabs and kept one good condition fish, but only around 47cms.  Rest of the weekend was too windy.

Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!