Skutes (off topic!)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skutes (off topic!)
    Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:34pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So, I've tied a few SW flies, but have decided to try making Skutes as per Nathan from Big Angry Fish in the hope of landing one, as opposed to the usual 'medium sized slightly annoyed Snapper'
Looking at Pat Swift Kingfish fly's and the 3 Nathan sold on TradeMe, the main things I seem to struggle with is getting length and getting the body snug agains the jig head......
Below, Pat Swift, Nathan, and my 3 first attempts.
Somewhat off topic, feel free to move it to another forum, but I thought the SWF guys would be able to point me in the right direction.
Using a cheap vice and Loon UV glue stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:49am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Charlie, try some different materials. There is lots out there and you'll find some works better than others.

Using naturals is always good too. Naturals have action that artificials can rarely replicate. Bind in a big bunch of long soft hackle feathers for the tail and then fill the body up with marabou. Marabou is easy to get hard against the head and bunches up to cover the hook without impeding hook-ups.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:08am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At risk of being flayed by the purists, here's some we whipped up the other day for a deeper water sesh. Those rabbit wings a la the Avalon fly look to me to be key.

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:24am
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks,
Looks like I need to go online to Rod & Reel to order supplies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 3:48pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

At risk of being flayed by the purists, here's some we whipped up the other day for a deeper water sesh. Those rabbit wings a la the Avalon fly look to me to be key.

Nice work, Snuffit.
As I mentioned in a post in a similar thread re skutes not long ago, Nathan on BAF often seems to have rabbit strips tied on each side of his. I was given a tip when I tied rabbit flies for trout to only tie in the strip at the head (not wrap the strip down to the end of the hook with tinsel, as is normal) to get maximum movement. And it worked really well on an erratic retrieve in the Waitahanui etc. So I can see how the Avalon method would be successful on skutes.

Fishman has often told us that movement on the drop is key to his snapper success on genuine saltfly (hence all the marabou and rabbit he's used down the years). That makes sense when you see the underwater footage of the BAF skutes, which are alive in the water. 

To my eyes, a lot of the so-called "bucktail" jigs (which aren't actually tied with natural bucktail) look way too stiff. More or less flasher material on a jighead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 4:42am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know **** all about these but they look cool LOL....good effort batmanWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:42pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another question.....
Do yo do anything to the lead on the shank? File it smooth or remove it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 11:50am
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still waiting on Rod n Reel, but H&F in Whangarei have a fair selection of stuff.
A bit more feather and fur on this one.
Just dying to try it out!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 12:42pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

https://www.facebook.com/CoastfishTV/videos/1451317488299063/

a skute caster in actionTongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 12:47pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not me, I use a baitcaster
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 1:19pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

haha, that was quicksmart Charlie LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theloadedjuggler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:18am
theloadedjuggler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nathan's materials are being tied forward then folded back toward the tail then being tied off. It creates a higher stacked taper toward the head.