trying to catch kingfish 3 ways

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trying to catch kingfish 3 ways
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:20pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trip out west trying to catch kingfish 3 different ways, can't say I was 100% successful but came home with a feed none the less

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 3:27am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great watch that......looked like a school of smaller fish.........I would have tried another spot and put a sinker on top of a swivel........flouro trace and send the live bait down to where the sign was.......on the surface is good when there is lots of surface action.......can be good without any sinker too but getting them down there and in front of the kings face.....easy meal......all on.......dont know how you managed to film all that so well.......Good job.
P.s I am a "cox" as well.Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 6:48am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

P.s I am a "cox" as well.

Don't be so hard on yourself Jon �£
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 6:24am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

I thought my surname was bad until i was watching the iron women event the other day....i thought id misheard the commentator .....so listened again.......NO.....i heard right.......Emma Dick...........she needs to get married asap that oneLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:42pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the comments laidbackdood, I was out again this weekend just gone, caught a 10kg model on a jig but still nothing on the livebaits, didn't plan on livebaiting this trip but there was baby kahawai everywhere so I picked up a few to have a go. Got alot more interest today but I didn't have any sinkers to send one down deeper. This pic is a shallower area where I found some kings, they chased the bait back up to the surface but seemed wary, smaller ones were nudging and harassing it while bigger fish swam around and watched. Might need to downsize my hook so it is less noticeable as it's quite large. Here is a pic, livebait in the circle and you can just make out the shadows of kings underneath

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 11:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

They do tend to be more cagey in the light of day......Dawn or dusk would be better......the colours of kings is amazing on top they are dark green and underneath they are silver.......if a fish looks down their dark tops blend in with the bottom......if the fish looks up....the kings belly looks like the clouds........when the light is low.......they can be more stealthy and maybe in the mood.
         If you could fish you livey in a bit deeper water...with a 4 or 5 oz ball sinker on top of the trace....put the circle through the roof of its mouth.......leave the reel in gear with a reasonable drag on it(not too much) and leave your rod in the holder on an angle.......dont have the line going straight down off a vertical rod or you will have a two piece rod !.......the fish will hook itself ...just wait for line to start peeling off and lift the rod.........you can by pass the smaller kings by using a decent size live bait.......yellow tails go well........if you can get a koheru......that wont survive long !.......fresh piper as live baits wont last long either.....some times the bigger kings are patrolling the bottom.......Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:05am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good stuff coxie. when out on the ski, i try to follow my own rule which is only one line in the water at a time. when i break the rule, it always seem to go wrong one way or another!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

good stuff coxie. when out on the ski, i try to follow my own rule which is only one line in the water at a time. when i break the rule, it always seem to go wrong one way or another!
Thats a good rule........applied that off the bricks as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 7:44pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

I thought my surname was bad until i was watching the iron women event the other day....i thought id misheard the commentator .....so listened again.......NO.....i heard right.......Emma Dick...........she needs to get married asap that oneLOL

Haha that's right up there with Fanny Schmellar
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:18am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I was a journo one of the sub editors kept a list of superb names. Amazing how many there are along the lines of Ramsbottom and so forth, including people with names like their jobs. Water scientist Bob Lake etc.

But the best ever, in my opinion, was Cardinal Sin - head of the Catholic church in the Philippines.
Most people don't believe me, but here is his obit in the Guardian.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

what about "mask your anus" the pakistani cricket player.....he got a lot of flack when he played in nz and wasnt very happy about it apparently......On another note...That loony stuff arrived yet bro?
Coxie....keep those vids coming dood.......always a good watch.

Tanmure....14th of 16th in the family.....i can see how that family earned their name.......didnt they ever watch tv?LOL