Noob softbaiter tips

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:42pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Brad, most of the time it pays to cast forward of your drift line and works sbait as you drift towards it but pays to drag a paddletail or curly tail on heavier jig hookset as you do pick up good fish this way at times
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:38am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Mate!

Normally casting forward and fishing from about 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

Jig head weight is dictated by depth and speed of drift...You want to get the lure to the bottom by at least kinda 3 - 4 o'clock or you need a heavier jig..

Remember that as it goes through the arc and you work the jig and wind a little the lure will be working back to the boat a bit but kinda from the side some not straight back from the bow.
Am I making any sense here guys?

I would guess that maybe just maybe you were getting fish on the tow because the boats movement was imparting action on the jig by towing it against the current/movement.

When casting forward it is up to you to impart the wounded baitfish movement to your lure.
Sorry if you are already doing this and I am way off!

Naturally if you cast forward and don't work it properly it will be a pretty drab presentation in terms of exciting bites.

That said there is a happy medium to discover, there can very quickly be to much movement of the lure..

You will crack it no problem.

Also I have seen days when out the back is where it's at so go try again soon.
Page  <12