Heading to Waiheke

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heading to Waiheke
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:24am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey there guys.  Me and the wife are heading over to Waiheke Island for a few days over Xmas.  Escaping the cool south to grab some beach time for the wife, and I get an excuse to chase something with fins other than trout.  

Anyone able to give me some pointers on spots to try around the island?   Not looking for any secret spots or nothing, just some general pointers as to where might be good to wave the wand for a snapper or kahawai Tongue

Oh and if any other forum members will be over there and fancy catching up for a cold brew on a hot day, let me know.  More than keen to catch up!

Regards Fraser

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:38am
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Get in touch with Matt von Sturmer who is based on Waiheke.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:18am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks bro.  Will do my best to get in touch with Matt.  Iv sent him a PM but not heard back.  Maybe he is of on holidays?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:36am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Fraser, I think Matt had some IT issues with this forum. Couldn't stay logged in or couldn't log in or something like that. I'm not sure whether these technical issues were resolved or not, but it certainly stopped him posting. Had a few others with the same issues that also gave up. Look for him on Facebook or send him an e-mail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:54pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fraser, I moved from the island 5 years ago but my favourite spot for fly fishing was "Island Bay".  Access is from a walking track at the end of Korora Rd (Owhanake bay) until you get to a small pebble/rocky bay.  Head around the rocks to the left 2-3hrs either side of low tide. Will take a bit of scrambling to get around so make sure you can keep at least 1 hand and 2 feet gear free.  Flick a fly in any of the channels and holes in the reefs around there, but beware its very reefy so when you do hook up to that big snapper it can be a challenge!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:35am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that Shilo.   Will definitely give that a go.

Ah that makes sense now.  I sent him a PM but didn't hear back from him.  I just checked and he hasn't posted for some time now. Dam IT issues!   Iv got his number here somewhere from organizing to meet up with him years ago, when I was visiting Auckland.  Il give him a yell!   Tongue

Thanks once again guys!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:43am
Platinum
Platinum

Just an update on my trip.

Unfortunately Iv suffered a prolapse disk just before we left on the holiday.   Means I'm pretty much an invalid.   Can walk about 100m before I'm in agony

Still having a ball on the island.   What an amazing place.   Both me and the wife are blown away.   We are making plans to retire here. Just suits us down to the ground!

Iv not been overly successfully on the fishing side of things, but that is mostly down to my lack of mobility.   Still, I had a ball sitting on some rocks, flicking a fly about yesterday.   Managed a snapper but it was so small it fitted In the palm of my hand.

I caught up with Matt yesterday afternoon for a beer in one of the wonderfull cafes on the island.    What a top bloke, and I completely understand why he moved back to the island, in fact im jealous, and that's coming from a guy that lives in Queenstown.

I might get out for a fish with him in the next couple of days, if he has time.   As I said to him, I'm happy to drive the boat while he fishes.   This prolapse disk means I can't stand for more than a couple of minutes anyway.   So that makes me pretty useless up on the bow. What a amazing place to fish!