Slipper Island camping no more?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slipper Island camping no more?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:26pm
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We used to camp at south bay on slipper island off tairua for like $20 a night, but now all I can an find is $350 a night camping....

Is the normal person's campsite no more,only for rich people now? Anyone know what's happening here?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 4:03am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

its a private island
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 12:38pm
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by eynon eynon wrote:

its a private island

It's a private island which the public have ALWAYS had access to. Stupid comment. So it's OK to remove access to everyone but rich people, willing to pay $350 a night to sleep in a tent?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 1:12pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Private island do what ever they like.If your willing to pay their price go if not dont moan.

Was owned by the Needham family 45 yrs but family rift forced to sell
yes under Needham was a private island but public welcomed to use

Yes it seems unfair but what can you do,perhaps labour will stop these deals??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 11:59pm
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That link doesn't work.

I didn't think kiwis would support NZ being sold to the highest bidder, who then bar entry to normal people. I hope bloody labour DO do something about this bull****. I'm sick of having my own backyard being restricted in this way... NZ is for NZ'ers, not only bloody wealthy tourists.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 2:37am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 6:51am
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nah. Was still camping there last year....

But that's about right, isnt it? Nice. I suppose as long as she's a millionaire, she can do what she likes, and bugger traditional access rights for kiwis?

OK. May have to start a new thread here, but where else can we camp offshore around the peninsula? Don't mind paying normal amonts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 7:52am
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Be surprised if you cant camp local radio station has a comp running for a camping holiday on Slipper Island.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 12:17pm
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That will be at the $350-a-night campsite....no normal person can afford that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:06pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its interesting, ive stayed there a bunch of times in the past camping and was thinking of taking the kids there camping for 2 weeks end of january.So started to try to get a contact number after reading this thread.

Two articles in particular caught my eye.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/67699820/family-fractured-by-sale-of-slipper-island
And
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/86844555/weekender-glamping-on-slipper-island-in-the-coromandel

First article says it was sold by Brian Brackenridge as a real estate agent.  Along with his wife, they were the founders of Icebreaker clothing.

Second article says they now manage the island and on his LinkIn profile it says - 

General Manager

Slipper Island Resort Ltd
 –  (1 year 7 months)

Fiona and I co-managed a restoration project for the new owner of Slipper Island off the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula. Stage 1 included overseeing a major cleanup and facelift of existing facilities on the island and adding two South African Safari Glamping tents to the accommodation inventory. The island was re-branded as an eco-tourism destination to leverage off the eco-restoration project proposed for the island. Stage 2 working closely with Waikato Regional Council, DoC and local Iwi in planning a full eco-restoration project for the island including an extensive wetland restoration, predator eradication and planting programmes with the ultimate goal being the release of endangered species onto the island.

So it sounds like the islands been going through some renovations.Article also says the good old fashioned camping at south bay is still open to the public.No contact that i could find though of any type.   

I assume the water taxi from tairua would have contact details ?

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:39pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by yourmomm yourmomm wrote:

where else can we camp offshore around the peninsula? Don't mind paying normal amonts.

Depends on which side of the peninsula you want to stay.

Since we cant camp on slipper, we will now be staying on Motuihe island. About $20 a night for a family of five,plus a great base for dat trips. Has plenty of kiwi and tuatara released on the island the past few years as well.

Rotoroa island also has camping plus its own website.

A more remote getaway that not many know of is Otata island, the largest island of the Noises,just past Rakino island.  It has a hut on it,(the old lighthouse keepers house) has bunks and a gascooker,maintained by the auckland canoe club. ive stayed there a few times a year for the past 30 and seldom see anyone else there. Awesome fishing right off the beach/rocks and anyone whose dived there will know about the nearby underwater lava caves that go several hundred metres.

Little further afield is Motuora island,which also has camping for $6 for adults.

Tiritirimatangi has huts with bunks in them for $15 a night and all the walking tracks and birdlife you could ever want,plus decent anchorages plus fishing.

Reminds me, been a few years since i last stayed on Mayor island. Must head out there this coming year, decent cheap accomodation and awesome diving.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olivia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
Olivia View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Slipper Island is good for camping.
It's $15/person/night.
$350/night is Glamping. 
https://www.slipperislandresort.com/accommodation/camping/