NY Salmon Fishing!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Innaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NY Salmon Fishing!
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:20pm
Innaaa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a great time in New York. Everything there looks beautiful and I just want to share with you guys.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Looks like you interrupted his spawning action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gulfgreyhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:03am
gulfgreyhound View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

They don't reproduce in the streams. They "spawn",but the eggs never develop into fry as the water warms in the summer.  In essence it's an artificial fisheries kept going by extensive stocking. It's  a money maker for the state,but the fish aren't edible unless taken fresh in the lake . The PCB levels in them are such that 1 meal a month is recommended. They also heavily stock brown trout and rainbows/steelhead for winter "spawn"  fishery. The creeks they run up are to warm to support a viable  self sustaining fisheries.  The initial salmon were stocked in Lake Michigan to combat Alewives which were a pest in the Great lakes. Success there prompted other states to plant salmon and later steelheads and in Lake Ontario browns. Don't get me wrong it's  a great fisheries that I have enjoyed for years. Innaaa, where did you fish? The Salmon River?
The trouble with some people is that when their not drunk their sober. Yeates,