Any Gulf Reports?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Gulf Reports?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:19pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone keen to report on the last few days in the gulf?
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:37pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The firth is going wellBig smile
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:03pm
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah firth was good today , out from kawakawa bay , plentiful snapper . Sliders doing the damage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:01am
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks lads. Saw there was a load of boats heading to K Bay yesterday...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote uncleping_88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:36am
uncleping_88 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Seen a few reports of work ups today and yesterday around flat rock area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:44am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were out at 50m mark behind flat rock and it went nuts, like shooting fish in a barrel. few fish around 10- 13 pounds. And we fished sign before workups even started!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:52am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good fishing in Whangaparoa Bayat the moment. You need to hunt the schools but once you find one it is all over in a very short time. Kingis in amongst many of the schools so take a sabiki, catch a macky, and drop it back to the bottom with a 4oz ball sinker on its head would be a smart move. Good chance of a decent snap with that rig as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:44am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Must have been an early xmas party at the met service yesterday. Hope no small boats got caught out. As of the 5pm update they were still forecasting 5knot var when it was gusting 18!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:20am
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks all. Better post mine in return.
Headed to 40m north of Ahaahas, drifted between there and north end of tiri for a few hours yesterday up til low tide. Got sick of the slop and headed inside tiri. Caught very little in the middle and no gannets about all morning.
Anchored in shelter just off the wharf at Tiri and got a good haul of 40-60cm snaps until it went dead at 1600.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 1:46pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got out yesterday for the first time in ages! Left West Park Marina at 0600 and picked up a  Hug Kahawai in the workup before we got to the Harbour Bridge with two more jumping off the hook. Birds everywhere diving in.
On out to Rangitito Channel and caught Snaps near A Buoy and over at Billy Goat Pt. including my PB on Nuked Chicken Z-Man. Yay!
Crewmate hooked a small kahawai but it got hoovered by a John Dory and so we netted him on-board as well. Bonus! First time I've seen a JD up close.
Some small Gurnard were released as well as a monster 60cm Grand daddy Snapper and any others under 35cm. Weather was perfect with tail-wind and tail-tide coming in.
Fished no deeper than 20m. 

Observed guys with long-handled nets on Devonport wharf presumably catching whitebait?

My biggest Kahawai and Snap on the same day. Bought a Lotto ticket on the way home. Thumbs Up Smoked the Ky and shared with landlady who is making me fish pie.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:39pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JW JW wrote:

Must have been an early xmas party at the met service yesterday. Hope no small boats got caught out. As of the 5pm update they were still forecasting 5knot var when it was gusting 18!

It must have been a doozy of a party, JW. I took our new boat out yesterday in forecast 10 knots in the morning, 15 in the afternoon. When we turned out of the Tamaki at 8am it was at least 20 knot easterly, white caps and breaking waves. 
I'm sure we weren't the only ones going 'what the?'. Swellmap was 10 gusting 12 at Musick Pt, so they were out as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:46pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well someone must have known something because I was the first trailer in the HMB carpark at 0620. I wondered what everyone else knew that I didn't and then found out...
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

It must have been a doozy of a party, JW. I took our new boat out yesterday in forecast 10 knots in the morning, 15 in the afternoon. When we turned out of the Tamaki at 8am it was at least 20 knot easterly, white caps and breaking waves. 
I'm sure we weren't the only ones going 'what the?'. Swellmap was 10 gusting 12 at Musick Pt, so they were out as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:04pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, I thought that when we arrived 90 mins later Stu!

I don't think I'm exaggerating with my estimate of 20 knots. We nearly turned around, but aimed for the shelter of the south/west side of Motuihe, took it slowly and then regrouped. It was more about a maiden voyage and getting used to the boat. Not a day for soft baiting, that's for sure.

We were surfing down waves on the way back, particularly between Browns and Musick Pt. But my little FC465 handled it nicely, thankfully. Some of the bigger boats took a real pounding as they headed stoically out past Motuihe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:07pm
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hit the waiheke Chanel this morning, was intending to hit terahiki for kings, 6-9 on windfinder, not a chance. .5 to 1.0m windswell with whitecaps. Really good king sign east of pakatoa reef, pulled out one dog sized kahawai then headed for some shelter. I’m sure persistence would’ve seen o thing descent boated, however my ship ain’t big enough! ****e prediction today, even checked the aviation forecast which was slightly off. I tried not too but launched the orange...jig on the way back through tamaki straight, steady string of snaps all just legal to just under over the sand. Not hard work at all. Waste of a drive from the shore, up at 420, back on the ramp at 9. Guts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:04am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The firth was awesome after work, smooth as, limit of awesome snapper and big workups of 18 inch couta. Smile
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had the day off today and headed to Tiri (launched Gulf Harbour) with my wife.  Bit choppy in my little boat going across the channel but found good shelter in the lee. We drifted with kaburas and as soon as we hit about 25m it just went crazy. For about 30-40mins we hooked up to a nice pan sized snapper +-40cm on every drop.  Stopped when we had enough fish, but could have easily had our limit if we wanted to.  

After that we went for a stroll on the island with lovely views and great to see all the native birds.  Awesome day out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 11:55am
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's still going off out there. Had a beautiful day on the water yesterday, flat as, warm, not too sunny and fish biting. 2 mega tussles with kingies on the silly string with a micro jig, kept one released one. Changed to an inchiku, as Mike was catching snapper on one, and we had good steady fishing with good pannies up to about 10lbs coming aboard. About 1 pm there was a good work up happening, so we enjoyed the carnage for a while before calling it quits with 10 snapper and a kingie in the bin.
We were fishing outside the cable zone, in 47-51m.
My transducer was showing the water temp at 20 - pretty warm already, even for a flat arse calm day.
What was disappointing was the 40-50 boats fishing slap bang in the middle of the cable zone north of Sandspit. I'm surprised the spotter plane wasn't flying given the conditions.