Landbased Topwater rod?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vertical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landbased Topwater rod?
    Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:04am
vertical View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just wondering if this would be any good for flicking topwater lures from landbased locations around harbours:

Daiwa Saltist Hyper 962XHS Heavy Spinning Rod 9ft 6in 200g 2pc

Any other recommendations under $400?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:31am
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Depends what sort of lure weight range you want to work in. If it has a nice supple tip but higher PE rating it should be able to work a broader range and cast the lighter lures easier. I saw this in a rod the other day with a very broad PE range of 5-10! However if it’s a PE 10 with a that feels like a broomstick you would have trouble with the lighter.

I have experience with a couple around that price range but they’re a couple of years older now. The shimano Terez 7’2 I think it was, nice looking rod but the model I used was a bit stiff, tough though being a one piece and not long enough for your application. Currently using a Daiwa Demon Blood 762, PE 5-6. It’s a really nice mid range/ lower end rod with a good parabolic bend under load, folds away evenly and has heaps of grunt. In my opinion what the daiwa rods lack in finess they make up for in grunt. It’s too short for the rocks but PE 5-6 suits the Hauraki gulf very well and seems to deal with the low 20kg kings easily.

Pay particulation attention to the cast weight and that should give you a good indication on what lure range the rod will work effectively. 80-140 seems to suit me around the gulf but that’s just me. I’d step it up for the BOP.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vertical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:41am
vertical View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Big_Red.

The Shimano Orca type stickbaits I usually use are only 88 g I think. Specs on this rod are saying 200 g.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:46am
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mines 90 to 200 and works them fine. Any lighter and a slower retrieve seems to work for me. Less than ideal but, yea.
I like the sound of the length of that rod. I’m just starting to look at laying some bigger dollars down for something in the 8’3” range at the moment. I’ll be interested to hear what you come up with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:52am
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For land based, I would go after length on the rod. Minimum 8'6" and probably longer the better. Cant really see any reason why a surfcast rod couldn't be used. Just gotta get the snap off the tip balanced for the lure weight you use.

Casting distance will be very helpful for land based fishing and length will be helpful there. Most casting rods of that length will have enough bend in them to allow working of even finicky lures with a bit of practice.
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:56pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What reel and line weight are you looking at using?

I do quite  a bit of landbased stickbaiting and found it pretty hard to find anything longer than 8 foot 6 off the shelf in NZ. I ended up importing a 10 foot rod from japan, cost about $500 landed. It's a pe8 rod as I'm usually fishing off the rocks, but you could probably go a bit lighter if you're fishing over the sand in harbours. 

Could get in touch with this guy and see if this rod is still for sale, sounded like a mint rod

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vertical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:51pm
vertical View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the info Pico.

Was going to use my Spheros 10000 with PE 5. The Daiwa rod specs state 'extra heavy action' and 'PE 6'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:46pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another option might be the Shimano Tiralejo, they come in a few lengths around the 9-11 foot mark.

Or this, a bit lighter than the one you mentioned in the original post. And cheap too

http://www.rodandreel.co.nz/product/daiwa-saltist-shoregame-9'6,-2pc,-pe2-5/dafohn762xx009.aspx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:15pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good info Pico. i've got a sense of deja vu, I'm sure we've had a very similar thread not that long ago, and you shared your thoughts. But I can't find it to include the link.

i recall there were fans of long rods off the rocks (for casting length, and keeping line clear of the rocks), and others saying that length makes life hard to get the angle for the right action on stick baits.

I had a feel of that Daiwa rod mentioned at the top in a shop and it was way too heavy for what I was after in terms of harbour shoreline fishing and lure weight. 

You don't mention your location, Vertical, but for me harbour shorelines means estuary entrances, or papa rocks over sandy bottoms. Not gnarly rock platforms.

It would be more the weapon to use off the rocks up in Northland or Coromandel, I'd say.

Greg at Go Fish in Takapuna sold me a Hearty Rise light lure rod, which I am tempted to use for small stick baits and plugs. It's a fantastic rod for heavy soft baiting etc. Great components and blanks.
This is what he's got in store in that 9'6" light stick bait rod category. Way over the budget mentioned above, but including for others following this thread. I'm sure it's a beaut. Sadly, out of my range for now.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beno101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:38pm
beno101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have the 762X model (rated 90-200gm) and it feels good casting lures from 80-120gm. Reckon the extra length would be ideal land based and the rods are good for the money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:59pm
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I saw those hartley rise rods in his shop yesterday and thought of this forum. yea they look real pretty. treat yourself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:01pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smart Marine at Westhaven has a Shimano JDM Colt Sniper shore jigging rod on clearance - 10 ft 2pc, I think it's PE4? About $400.

They also have the JDM 8' Plugger max 80g lure stick bait rod for $599 (as does Fish City in Albany). Not as long as some here are recommending, but good for lighter lures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vertical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:37pm
vertical View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Made a query with Marine Deals last night about the rod I originally posted about and they have just rung confirming The Tamure Kid's observation that it is too stiff for stickbaits and more of a popper rod. Good to get honest advice and not a hard sell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:39pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a quick look at the Daiwa Saltist shoregame  http://www.rodandreel.co.nz/product/daiwa-saltist-shoregame-9'6,-2pc,-pe2-5/dafohn762xx009.aspx in a tackle shop yesterday, felt like it should be ok for working stickbaits. 

One thing I didn't like was the bottom guide was relatively small for a spinning rod, but it is a sub $200 rod so can't really complain!