Takapuna Ramp? Why so average?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takapuna Ramp? Why so average?
    Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 6:03am
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After a few years in Auckland and currently living on the shore I can’t help but be amazed at the lack of facilities for boaties / fishermen. Can anyone shed any light on why the takas ramp is so average, pontoonless (swell I’m guessing ) and generally disorganised mayhem. The fact the ramp has a concrete wharf which extends only part way down the ramp is beyond me, meaning at low tide it can be a bit of a mission, especially when everyone is out on the weekend. I would hate to own a fibreglass boat and solo launch there, solo launching in my alloy is mission enough some days. There are designated parks available but if you are there for an arvo fish they’re filled with trailor-less cars. Agree, disagree? Has anyone ever asked for an upgrade?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit tongue in cheek.....
 The ramps like kk B , Te Torro,  lesser degree, clarks, are blue collar working mans ramps.. even club ramps like Mareatai have a very long history to their developmental .. with lower budget boats and large and moored...
Where the locals have got together , formed clubs, working bees, negotiated the mine field of council red tape. fund raised over many yrs..

In most cases, think you will find behind each well serviced, developed ramp is a local core community with wider support  on a mission.

These days ppl are far more interested in social media  and keyboard warrrors , ***** rather get of the butts and complain... and that makes those who get off butts rather unique without the mass support required to achieve these things....expect government/ cental  or local to provide more than the min basics as a matter of right.
 Sort of like  saying  social welfare  (dole etc) should provide a good income rather than just bare basics..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:39am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Totally agree. Often more trailerless cars than boat trailers in clearly signed boat trailer parks.
Concrete wall is too high to easily tie boat onto when standing on ramp.Took a big chunk out of my prop on that wall one day going out. Just turned a fraction too tightly-clunk.Much room for improvement
Any sort of easterly swell ,even small can be a issue,seems to curl around the end of the wall and up the ramp. Not good if solo.

But many Auckland ramps could be improved.

Sometimes use okahu bay ramp. Overall good ,except in Northerly.
Last time there on low tide the ramp was so slippery it was very  difficult to stand on it and keep footing. Like polished glass. Accident waiting to happen to someone. Takapuna can get like that at low tide as well.
l

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 11:31am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There was a whole thread on the frustrations of lack of facilities, ramps etc Auckland wide not long ago - prompted by a nightmare busy Friday at Gulf Harbour.

As was pointed out, most of the region's ramps have been in place for a long time, and date back to a period with much less population pressure and boat ownership - and less regulation around building on the foreshore etc.

Is there any chance you can beach launch at Narrowneck, you don't mention the size of your tinny? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 11:43am
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes i do use narrowneck occasionally, usually if i’m a late start. I find takas a bit easier on the car and parking if i’m early (5-6am), the low transom on my boat is frustrating with any swell.
4.5m pontoon.

I’m not having any major trouble launching, the post wasn’t about that in particular. Just frustrated at the lack of infrastructure in such a busy stretch of coast. one of the busiest around at a guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 12:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

'Join the club' as they say. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 4:51pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lester - you should be able to launch your boat there ok. Have launched a fc390 there easily with Camry a couple of years ago. With 4wd would think you could launch 5-6 metre boats easily enough - with a bit of thought and preperation.
Tend to go Bayswater though myself esp if fishing harbour.
Biggest problem in that neck of the woods is Lake Rd - nightmare material but if you go early no woriies.
It is an important consideration to prospective boaties now  - the restricted launch facilities in Greater Auckland esp if you have to use ramps and fish in weekends when so many other people do too. The ability to beach launch - using low riding trailers is a bit of a bonus really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 5:30pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only one thing for it. We need a minister of "Boat ramps". And while he is at it ,a decent cafe on the noisies.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Lester - you should be able to launch your boat there ok. Have launched a fc390 there easily with Camry a couple of years ago. .... The ability to beach launch - using low riding trailers is a bit of a bonus really.

You mean Narrowneck, mate? I must check it out. But i agree, Lake Rd is a nightmare on a busy weekend day.

Having seen the low rider in action at Waiake, i'm certainly convinced by little FC will do the business for beach launching - roll on summer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:55pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Takapuna is a dog of a ramp in my opinion, went there for the last time recently. In future will trek to Gulf Harbour. Would the council or local parking wardens ticket a car in a car & trailer zone, or just turn a blind eye?