Bay of Islands & surrounds Kayak areas

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bay of Islands & surrounds Kayak areas
    Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:26pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi, recently had to sell my boat, I'm getting interested in Kayak fishing. There are certainly some very nice colour GPS/ sounder combo's for not too many $$$, also the Viking 400 is well priced and looks very well set up.
Most likely after the usual- Snapper, and if possible, Kings.
Any advice re suitable areas, launch spots etc?
I'm too used to launching from Opito Bay then bombing it to Tapeka, Middle Foul, Ninepins and Lions Rock.....I doubt I have the arms & thighs for such effort

Style- softbaiting & jigs, stickbaits.
Vehicle and 15 mins from the ramp, I already have a C-Tug with solid wheels & rods aplenty.
Oh, and I'm 178 cm, 82kg (BMI 'just' over 25! I find I float better with a bit of fat)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:22pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

With a bit of practise Lion Rock would be quite feasible on the right days from Tapuaetahi Thumbs Up

Whilst Viking make fantastic kayaks, I would recommend having a look at some of the other models such as Stealth and the PDL platforms like the Predator.  All have their pro's and con's.

Matarui Bay and the Cavalli's are meant to be fantastic on the yak.  I'll be up there in a couple of weeks Wink

My favourite spot on the yak up there though is Matai Bay and paddling out to the far islands to target Kingies LOL.  Can also be worth casting a few softies into the wash for Snapper on the way out Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:52pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks, I'd somehow overlooked the Cavalli's, far easier launching a kayak than a boat most of the time....and not much further to drive (25 v's 15 mins)
Just need to re-establish my contacts at Tap's for the gate code
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One word for you, PJay. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Iriee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 11:44am
Iriee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys i am planning to go for a two day trip kayaking (softbaiting and spearfishing) i am based in russell what would be the best option at the moment ? Rawhiti, bland bay, matauri bay, matai bay ?

I would like to target kingies also (Livebait, topwater, spearfishing). Are they around these places at the moment or is it too soon in the season ?

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Could launch from Longbeach ( other side if the peninsula to Russell)
Flagged are middle foul, also Robertson, also bait schools forming around Tapeka Point.
Sorry, not sure about other areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 7:08am
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Muchalls
I’m keen to do the Cav’s but I’d be very wary of crossing the channel
May not look far but if you get the tide pumping thru there and the wind gets up it will be a lot further than you think
I’ve done Mahineapua now a few times and that’s been pretty successful
Not far out on the peninsula is a low saddle you can easily drag your yak across to get to the Other side