Solo Boat Launching

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtremefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:52pm
xtremefisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i use kawakawa bay when im flying solo its great with there help at the ramp hang onto ya boat why u park up and when you come back in never struck this anywhere else dont know if this is just weekends and holidays but they are amazing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seen that couple yrs back at KK  very cool
Did have me wondering thu...
As kids we had a paper run.. well not many papers now
 Then weekend off to the local golf club, caddy... dont know if stil can.. bet too many bureaucratic rules now
We had our lawn mowing neighbours...commercial guys taken that over.

We have window washers at intersections..
So why not have kids helping out at ramps like kk..?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:40am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You could add some mods to the trailer to allow it to be drive on and off Steps?  Bunks can be added either side of the keel rollers to guide the keel to them when you drive on.  The bunks mean you can come in at an angle and the boat will self center.  Iv set-up 2 boat in years past with the same system and wouldn't be without it. Non of that nobbing about trying not to bounce the boat keel on trailer beams. 

I know what your saying about drive on and off people often digging out the ramp, but that's more due to poor boat handling skills when driving on and off.  I used to drive my 6.7m boat on and off and it required the slightest amount of thrust.  Line the boat up and allow momentum to do most of the work. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You could add some mods to the trailer to allow it to be drive on and off Steps?

Really looked at that...moving the rear cross beam in, and lowing it 120mm.
We have sat at the ramp low mid high tides , watched taken movies how boat comes up etc.
 Moving the rear centring roller in id ok because the rear keel area of the hull has no keel, doesn't sit on the last 2 roller and centre roller...
 But doesnt do anything to line up with the keel roller blind.
 Have even considered mirrors , but at that distance just not defined enough.. well at all.

There is a (very expensive) bolt on  spring loaded pad system that mounts at the rear crossmember  that guides the bow in and apparently the springs are strong enough to swing the stern straight...or keep straight as winched up. As to being strong enough for driving in.. dont know.

Still comes down to .. tie off boat to pontoon.. go up get the truck trailer.. back trailer in to place...then unhitch boat, re fire up engine, drive on...some sort of holding clip.. exit the bat , climb down .. shackle.. drive out.

Where as using bungy ropes .. IF boat is placed well on the pontoons/ ramp.. back trailer down to bow... walk down planks, hook the  winch rope in (which is already at the end of the trailer... back to winch... winch up.. shackle.
 Then up on the pontoon, unhitch the bungy  ropes.. drive off.

You got a couple pics of your bunk system..?
 we thought about something like that
At low tide .. ramp flattish at low tide...we pull the bow up and over the centring roller, it doesnt come back down till the 3rd roller... to have centering bunks each side of the 1st 3 rollers heigh enough  has the hull when right on supported on the front roller and the bunks are the rear.. on a unreinforced section of the hull.
 Thats the thing with older keel boats.. they are designed to support the weight thru the keel, and the side rollers to keep stable.

Note here: the correct set up of side rollers on a keel boat/ trailer... boat not lashed down, on level ground, the boat should be square/ level and ALL the side rollers so can JUST turn by hand.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:31pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seams like the only real way to retrieve with a center roller keel trailer is install one of these things
https://www.burnsco.co.nz/ark-eziguide-trailer-roller-kit.
Has anyone installed used them?

An old thread here, incomplete
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/ark-eziguide-rollers_topic110934.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 10:38pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ha! Never installed as the trailer frame was the wrong shape!
For sale, pm if interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 7:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What was the problem with the trailer cross member shape?
Does it need to be box? or dimensions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:11am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

I've been spoilt with my GPS Minn Kota with anchor lock and hand held remote.

Just launch it with a rope, drop motor down and push away, motor a few metres away, press anchor lock then go and park trailer.

Coming back in de the reverse but sit at the bow steering until its time to jump off.

Great to watch the spectators reaction at Takapuna. 

I think it is a great idea but I wouldn't trust it to hold while I park trailer - what happens if it stops or you drop remote and break it?
Is there a plan B?

It holds anchor whilst we fish all of the time so why wouldn't it hold near the ramp where its calmer. These things have a big range and we are only talking 30 metres. It will take hours for it to stop unlike a petrol engine that can stop unexpectedly. Remote is on a lanyard around your neck. Plan b is swim.

Hi Joker,
What size mini Kota are you using and what battery set up do use , cheers just wondering if the 55 would be enough on my boat and which you have ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing I like - is a permanent bow rope, from the bow, and just long enough to avoid reaching the prop when it eventually gets into the water unexpectedly. On each side coaming, close behind the helm seats, a cleat. When launching, tie the bow rope to the jetty bollard and back to the cleat; holds the boat parallel to the jetty; doesn't need to be tied off at the stern.
When coming in - the bow rope is reached on its cleat from the helm, to be deployed singlehandedly over the jetty bollard. Ok, but this is tricky particularly if theres a wind blowing the boat away from the jetty. Oh and don't forget to put the motor in neutral and turn it off and raise it as high as possible. Miss any one and potential disaster. Happened to me, forgot to put it in neutral, then wondered why the boat was slowly backing towards the jetty. Bang! the prop hit a steel pile on the jetty (thanks for that stupidity Council), bending it badly.

Launching off a all-tide ramp should be piece of cake, although if theres no jetty, theres the problem of how to hold the boat after launching and when coming in while you go get the trailer. Ive tried just pushing it bow first onto the beach, but several times it goes hard onto the sand and been a hell of a job pulling it off. So I now always put the anchor down far enough out to avoid it swinging onto the beach. Doable but a bit of a wade out. Fine but less fun in winter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:09pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is your boat / trailer  keel roller or wobblies?
 I have always had a bow rope, one each side, long enough NOT to go under a trailer wheel iff ever comes loose.
 If you have ever had a trailer rope go under a wheel at speed, you will NEVER left it happen again... accidentally  or not.

Any way up date from the last 2 trips out..
 Most keel trailers are tilt.. which we used many yrs back.. once, from a beach retrieval... great but when that tilt goes full height and doesnt come down till the boat is near full on is a hell of a wind uphill....2 4 lettered words come to mind.. one is "work"
Since then never used it...
Till since last post above..
 This time we limited the amount of tilt with the tilt safety chain to only a couple inches.
Had a side wind taking the boat away from the ramp pontoon, ignored it and hooked the winch rope onto the bow eye,
 then pulled the bow to the centre of the 1st centering roller, holding in place with the boat at near right angles...
Tilt released, but limited to about 3"
 Then just started to wind....as the boat came in, it hit the right (looking rearwards) side guide post, and the momentum of the swing it kept on centering as continued to come up  Clap, and wind took it back to hit the left pole again.. bow is now over the centering roller heading to the 1st roll that NEEDS to hit square on... The side curve of the bow hits the pole, cant go full right angles again, then pulls straight.
 At this point the 'holding points'.. the bow winch rope, and the center roller its sitting on, are in a straight line, which as one pulls on the winch, the boat swings, nps against the wind straight.
 At this point we put the 18v electric drill on the hand winch, and the boat comes up text book

Would never have thought that getting the alignment would be as easy.

Lot ppl have chopped the side poles on tilt keel trailers..welded up the tilt
 After seeing the above...it is obvious ppl today have no idea just how a tilt roller trailer is so damn good in side currents, winds, and lifting off the beach/ ground.

So the centereing part is sorted.

The part from pulling into the ramp , mooring, then hooking winch rope onto bow hook
 This thinking, considering above posts...
Got the bungy cords, to stretch  and moor bow and stern while still on trailer to the pontoon.. side boat off  drive way.
 And possbly use these when coming in also ???

If next friday (nice window) can get out again, and ramp not busy.. well MT  will have another play.

Oh and don't forget to put the motor in neutral and turn it off and raise it as high as possible.
 nearly done it a couple times.. now routine is before getting in to close.. good distance, now have the trim gauge 'marked'  at a point still have cooling inlets below water but as high as possible.....come in, kill engine, and it is still more than high enough when pulling out, towing out etc.
 When off the plain, chugging in  the water level at the stern is way a way higher, so can tilt higher.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 8:22am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

One thing you gotta watch out for is old ladies at Whangaroa...

I was launching my boat [mid week and bugger all others around ] and i got told off for being to slow , I said sorry but I am by myself and got told " well you shouldnt be by yourself" Wacko 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A boat comes in behind us.. we are not solo.. and I always ask if have spare crew to watch, see if need a hand, or grab their boat as it sides in..
 Often a solo will launch or retrieve next to us.. will always offer or simply hold/ tie off the boat for them...

As it happens , most of the solo guys are real onto it guys, and generally launch an retrieve fast than so many of others...

As to your old ladies.. maybe they should offer a hand to hold the boat rather than b1tch...b1tch1ng (which distracts and delays in its self) rather than giving a a hand is adding to THEIR issue rather than being proactive in helping to sort THEIR issue.

A couple weeks back. we drove down to the ramp, backed straight down stopped just before the water.. 20 secs releases the rear tie downs ,  1 crew still in truck continues to back trailer into the water, released the travel latch on the tilt.. then backed in.. 2rd crew take bow rope on the pontoon, boat slides off..  crew drives away,  and someone told us we should not do that.. when we launch faster than them and others. Oh bung is put in at home.

Some people just open their mouths and need to have a b1tch before even putting their brain into gear...or bother to watch how the WHOLE operation gets carried out...
 If they did they may just learn something once in a while.
Page  <12