Octopus

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Octopus
    Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:35am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a dive the other day and got a decent feed. Took an octopus which I don't normally do, but damn are they good to eat. I'd rate them above any fish you can name and scallops, but not above crayfish. Nothing beats a crayfish Smile

Anyone else keen on octopus? How do you prepare and cook them! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have brought up few octpus on the line.. good sized ones to.
Hard to contain... suggestion?
And how do you prepare cook them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:43am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

youtube is your friend. cleaning is straightforward if messy. tenderising can be achieved a few different ways, i dunked mine 4 times in boiling water. after these stages, you can use the meat however you wish. charred over a charcoal BBQ is awesome Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:33am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As for containment, a knife between the eyes slowed it down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:12pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I also love eating them but have only taken one. I threw it in ice (as the internet says) and it quietened right down. I understand a squeeze of lemon makes them let go. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 2:02pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool.. next time
 We thought about the bin.. will they mess up/ start chewing on the fish at all...thats why we havnt done that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:51pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Same intelligence as your pet dog so I don't kill em. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 5:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MB, an 'ole Maori trick is to tie and octopus to a stick and poke it a crayfish hole and watch the crays come flying out!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 6:45pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

MB, an 'ole Maori trick is to tie and octopus to a stick and poke it a crayfish hole and watch the crays come flying out!LOL
Thats exactly in the 1940s what grandfather use to do out at whatapu,apparently would come home empty the sack and ask if anyone wanted whatapu fleas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dedubyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:24am
dedubyah View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

years ago when staying in Greece, guy I was  with would bring in his occys  and spend a couple of minutes each smashing them on the concrete footpath to tenderise them, seemed to work a treat, used to just fry the tentacles in olive oil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:20am
nodnod View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by dedubyah dedubyah wrote:

years ago when staying in Greece, guy I was  with would bring in his occys  and spend a couple of minutes each smashing them on the concrete footpath to tenderise them, seemed to work a treat, used to just fry the tentacles in olive oil

Yup
You right there, i worked in the Greek Islands for a couple of Seasons and the locals all used to beat the Octopus on the rocks, 100 times was tradition if i remember correctly. Only eat Tentacles also and very very tasty.
I reckon good job for the missus...