40 xr lightning merc increase horsepower

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40 xr lightning merc increase horsepower
    Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:09pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not sure if anyone knows, but, if you change the jets does that increase it to 50 horse? as its the same motor detuned.
thanks.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:56pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have the same motor and looking through the parts list there are quite a few that are different on the 50. I investigated this a while ago and I think the cost involved in replacing the parts didn’t really warrant the extra hp.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:14pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Aha, cheers, thought as they are both triple carbed might help.i do have the jet sizes for the 50 which are noticeably bigger.,
There might be an intake restrictor on the 40 that can be milled out, heard it somewhere, cant remember where.
thanks.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote veitnamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:50pm
veitnamcam View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Changing jets will just make it run rich/stall/smoke and make less power.
You need more air to burn more fuel.