Kingie on light tackle

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingie on light tackle
    Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:32am
RTM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,

Looking at making a trip out to target these fighters with a few of the guys and I'm wondering about my set up.

Currently on a blue backer with a bg3000 which I believe will be a rather interesting, if not a long fight.

My concern is do I have the correct braid and leader?
Currently have 30lb braid and 20lb Fluro leaders.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We dont target kings as such, got a couple smaller on light gear thu..
 So will leave the more informed answers to the experienced guys.
 We run 20lb braid on everything for general fishing...
 20 lb fluro thu, the stuff snaps so easy on a reasonable table snap if hits into the rocks.... so now run 30lb min.

Lost a couple nice kings while at anchor around reef/ foul due to not being able to pull anchor or drop warp, fire engine and pull away from the reef.

So I would suggest if targeting kings on light gear, do it on the drift maybe.

If out in the open sea no reef to bust you off , totally different kettle  of
fish.
 Did use 80lb fluro and hit something big, reefed use after a long run, but with 30lb braid , and no knots failing when you would like them to lost a heap of braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:04am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

30lb braid/20lb fluoro is absolutely fine for legal size kingies and bigger in open water. it definitely wouldn't be fine in reefy areas as steps says. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel_Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:27am
Reel_Tech View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nothing wrong with youre current setup especially if fishing from a boat.

Few months ago I accidently nabbed a 21kg king from the rocks whilst spinning up kahawai for livebait, was using a daiwa morethan branzino with 20lb Tasline and a short 30lb mono leader. Was in about 5m of water.

If it can be done off the bricks it can easily be done from a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:39pm
RTM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the input guys, glad I don't need to respool just yet, will take everything onboard and hopefully get a few good rounds in.