Engine Overhaul Costs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Overhaul Costs
    Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:21pm
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys, does anyone have much experience souring parts and rebuilding outboards? I have an older boat with a 1993 Evinrude 90hp on the back and need to pull a fair bit of the motor apart to replace the steering arm due to rust. She seems to run pretty well as she is but in 5 years of me personally owning it I've done pretty much nothing aside from a few impellers and gearbox oil yearly.

I don't think that it needs anything major but if I have to take it apart it seems, at this stage, to make sense to at lease do some gaskets and seals while I'm in there. Anyone been down this road or have any thoughts on parts to be looking for? Any common issues that should be investigated?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:00pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Check crank shaft journals and crank pins check con-rod and needle roller bearings check piston clean ring grooves and replace rings, check sleeves you can replace upper and lower crankshaft bearings and seals these bearing normally are good ive stripped 1970 motors and the bearings were good. change adaptor gasket ,manifold gasket & cylinder head gaskets and check inside near the ports for holes as earlier motors ive found from corrosion due to the manifold gasket leaking then at the same time it starts corroding the exhaust side where the adaptor meets the base. in the carb throat there are 3 little hole clean them, inlet manifold side just below the butterfly .Replace starter motor brushes it will save you later on . recon stater solenoid just change the copper disc 90 degrees to its original position it will save you later on . before you start take the power head off turn it upside down and pour my formula for desalting into the inlet water intake leave it for a few days it will clean all the salt out of your motor.make sure you anti seize all bolts & nuts and apply the correct torque . also check reed valves for any gaps . you can change grommets too if you want.     Come and see me if you get stuck i will help you. care full some bolts break off due to being seized from the salt . While you at it i would replace the reed valves with Carlsons graphite reed valves this will improve your performance and better fuel economy & easier starting and better idling