Mono Making A Comeback

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mono Making A Comeback
    Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 6:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

fish are used to seeing braid? He lost me right there
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:49pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MONO HAS ITS APPLCATIONS, I LIKE  BRAID i  fish  with guys that use mono a lot they  catcch fish as much as i do  but ii love the bites braid gives me 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:50pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The guy is from the US - they love to fish on 200lb braid. They set their gear up with 200lb backing and 150lb top shot. And they love reels with 115+ lbs of drag (check out the Avet Quad!!!) They go off the coast of San Diego and catch tuna from a stationery boat by locking down the drag, resting the rod on the gunnel and winching in the fish Wicked Tuna styles. Hardly sporting....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:55pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reasonable article. Of course, every material has pros/cons. Outside of the little bit of game and trout fishing I do, I have no use for mono, but it's nice to know it's there if needed I suppose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:56pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't think Mono went anywhere, to make a come back. It still has its uses as the article says. 

The need for stretch is the reason why you would use longer than the minimum of 5 metres on a top shot for game fishing. 

For light tackle fishing a full spool of Mono is still my preferred set-up. For deeper water light tackle fishing braid backing may be the better option. But is easier to break without stretch.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:17pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had one fish that might have come off on a high drag braid fight, but just the one. Usually solidly hooked and no amount of f**k ups will that hook let go.
Stretch isn't an issue.
New IGFA regs can be an issue.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:25pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

New IGFA regs can be an issue.

Why is that Roy?
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:28am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mmmmmmm, not sure what I was thinking!!Ermm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JohnnyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:35am
JohnnyR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Far prefer using mono where there is a choice. Braid is very hard to untangle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 9:59am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That whole article was potato as. When anyone starts talking about jigging on mono I'm like ooooookie doooooooookie you do your thing and I'll do mine...

By the same token, anyone tieing braid directly to their terminal tackle is probably selling themselves short, IMO.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:50am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Mono has it's uses for sure. I still use both but jigging or deep water fishing is not a mono strong point
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:29am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like braid for game fishing but that pinging sounds as the drag is pushed up is the sound of music as the line edges out. Don't get that with braid!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:50am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont think I have any totally nylon rigs left now...oh, yes I do, two sabiki rigs on those tubular sabiki rods, they are so stiff you need nylon or you just rip the hooks out of the livies mouths,.....but other than that, I am all braid. The sensitivity to the bite is just unbeatable I think.
 On my overheads I usually like to have at least 5m of nylon..., no, sorry, i mean flurocarbon trace, though often more like 10-15m of flurocarbon. Why....well, here is one very good reason....

....if that had been a nylon trace/wind on, it would've popped immediately, whereas this 80lb flurocarbon held on long enough for me to land the dogtooth tuna I had on it.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 8:57pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I dont think I have any totally nylon rigs left now...oh, yes I do, two sabiki rigs on those tubular sabiki rods, they are so stiff you need nylon or you just rip the hooks out of the livies mouths,.....but other than that, I am all braid. The sensitivity to the bite is just unbeatable I think.
 On my overheads I usually like to have at least 5m of nylon..., no, sorry, i mean flurocarbon trace, though often more like 10-15m of flurocarbon. Why....well, here is one very good reason....

....if that had been a nylon trace/wind on, it would've popped immediately, whereas this 80lb flurocarbon held on long enough for me to land the dogtooth tuna I had on it.
Was that of Raglan??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:58am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Was that of Raglan??

How many Dogtooth tuna do you think are caught in Raglan? 
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:52am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just lost a bunch of jigs y/day on 100lb mono to dogtooths. I have now made short single strand wire traces and will see how they like those. And I am not in Raglan.
But I am jigging on braid with a 100lb leader.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 1:05pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I really wish I had lost a bunch of jigs to doggies yesterday...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 1:07pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't get my bait through those pesky Doggie tunas, right now off Raglan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 2:43pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

I really wish I had lost a bunch of jigs to doggies yesterday...
Send them over to me and I will be happy to loose them for youSmile

But to follow on from the posting on fluorocarbon vs mono, we had a marlin on a few weeks ago for 5 1/2 hrs. It was ginormous - big as my boat (5.3m tinnie). Had it alongside several times and it refused to give up. But the point is, it was on a 1.8m 80lb fluoro trace. And for the last hr we had 18kg drag on. It just peeled line whenever it felt like it. Even after 5 hrs. Finally the trace broke thru chaffing. But it took an enormous amount of punishment before that and any normal fish would have given up before the trace did. That stuff is very tough.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member