Bucktails/scoots

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 1:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice work, that's a beautiful snapper.
Any thoughts on colour, the best materials etc?that one looks like it's got some orange and dark colours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:06pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That colour combo is deadly in the evening. Best advice would be not to over tie them as it affects casting performance and action. Use colours that mimic what you think they’re feeding on. Greenlip mussel imitation
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:58pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very interesting, Potty, thanks for posting. Nice photo as well.

Looks like you combined a Kabura skirt with some brownish/rust fur strips, a few tarantula rubber legs etc. I like your thinking regarding colours and their prey/food.
Nathan from BAF often talks about the squid colours, and that makes sense in the 0-15m rocky areas they seem to fish around Great Barrier, Northland etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 2:44pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fish size wise the skutes are cleaning up soft baits but you do have experiment a lot to find what works. Another victim the week before.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:19pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some  work in progress...Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:09pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to see your results Potty. My tying is a work in progress. All mine look like bucktail jigs. No surprises as they're 95% bucktail. I'm going to add different materials in the next ones I tie. Certainly they were catching some fish but not outfishing softbaits - but great to know if I get it right that could change....Have you tried the floating booby fly up the line off a solid ring? I was given that tip and it caught a nice snapper on dusk. Apparently good on tough days and will pick up other species such as Trevs etc.
After a couple of boatless months I can get out field testing again this weekend Big smile
Page  <123