Fly tying

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly tying
    Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:40pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would like to learn to tie a few saltwater flies, can anyone recommend a good book to give any pointers or where to start.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 10:49pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate, the internet is your best friend.

Just type up the name of the pattern and there's about 200 different variations on a theme.

What specifically are you chasing and perhaps we can point you in the right direction with regards to the names of the flies.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 6:03am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers jaapie, some cool videos. Would like to target snap and Kings so looking for types to start with now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:18am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I found this was a good starter, as well as lots of fly patterns has several sections on techniques, materials, etc.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Essential-Saltwater-Flies-Ed-Jaworowski/9780811734592

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 9:24am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Ynot,

I asked the same question last year and this is now my go to pattern for Snaps and Kings.
It is one that Fishman invented and shared.
Excellent fly to start off with.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 9:35am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was going to say, from my reading of the forum threads, Fishman's Interceptor snapper fly seems to be the best going around. Lots of movement as it slowly drops through the water column.

From the look of your version, Fishwhisperer, it's got barred hackle feathers as a tail, kind of like a Lefty's Deceiver, with a body of layered marabou - mainly in white, but with some bright colours nearer the head?
And peacock herl at the head - a nice iridescent effect, by the looks of it - though herl can be pretty fragile (at least with trout, so probably snapper too?).

Ynot, I reckon the classics to start with looking up would include:
  • Clouser
  • Deceiver
  • and then a step up to using epoxy, something like a Surf Candy.
I enjoyed reading Making Better Flies by Lou Tabory, which I got out of the library in Auckland. You can request it, if you are in the library system.
It's an excellent book - rather than just patterns (though there is that stuff), there's excellent analysis fly design, movement, the latest materials, colours in the water versus out, etc.
It's up to date with synthetic materials which you can also find online. The problem with older books is that the materials used often don't reflect what's available now.

Also, keep an eye out for copies of the Aussie magazine Flylife. You should be able to find some second hand. Some great salt water patterns and advice in every issue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, that was one of my old creations TK. I was just getting creative. Added some hen hackle feathers in the tail and some peacock herl fibres.

As you kind-of pointed out, the Interceptor doesn't need the hen hackle feathers at the back - pure marabou tail works best. White at back, yellow or hot orange up front. Add plastic hair fibres and flashabou to taste.

Peacock herl doesn't last very long in a fishing situation so I don't bother with it these days and the dumbbell eyes on that fly above look to be a little on the small side. For a fly that big I would recommend XL dumbbell eyes. You want a good vertical sink rate and you need to counteract the flotation potential of all that marabou.

Fish the Interceptor on the drop. Don't restrict its fall. Needs to fall naturally and not be influenced by the pull of the line. Retrieve a bit after it has been hovering near the bottom for a few moments then allow to sink again. Snapper candy.

Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 3:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There you go, Ynot, straight from the guru's keyboard.

FishMan, interesting to see the 'skute' "flies" all over the latest Big Angry Fish show last night. I remember asking you about them last year, in terms of colours etc. 

The latest used on the show look similar to your early model Interceptor above, with a very long Deceiver-style tail, a bit of long flash topping the same length, and rabbit strips/marabou tied in each side of the head.

After watching him nail some big snapper in recent episodes, people keep asking Nathan for the pattern and tying method via Facebook, and he's deflecting - basically just saying he throws a bunch of material on a 1/2 oz jighead and away he goes.
There is a bit more of a method to the tying I'm sure. But ultimately, it's a long lure with plenty of inherent movement at the front - and colour is just what he feels like at the time with the materials he has to hand. Red and orange at the head seems to be a preference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:30pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds again like a good fly case of plenty of 'colour and movement'.

Snapper will of course eat a whole lot of different flies. Matto uses natural 'critter bug' type patterns and does really well.

I think it's more a case of getting confident with something and then using it with confidence.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:57pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys, bit to digest here. Looking to tie onto jig heads and have a play.