Toxic Farmed Fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toxic Farmed Fish
    Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 3:36pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have never been a fan of farmed fish for many reasons.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 3:33am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The healthy fats (omegas) are changed from being in a contained area and with what they feed them......in the wild they have a varied diet.....in those cages....they are stressed from over crowding and swim around in their own crap......They are nowhere near as healthy as wild caught fish.
Its like comparing battery eggs to free range eggs.....I dont eat salmon anymore.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:52am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scary article - not convinced (I hope) its quite that bad in NZ yet? 
Don't buy fish anyway as prefer to catch and handle myself - and its organic and fresh what's not to like?

Chicken farming is the same, you get what you pay for and sometimes not even that.  Wont buy caged chicken eggs if I can avoid.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 9:59am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/01/is-farming-salmon-bad-for-the-environment

He looked at me and held out a palm – in it was a small, ugly-looking creature, all articulated shell and tentacles: a sea louse. He could crush it between his fingers, but said he was impressed that this parasite, which lives by attaching itself to a fish and eating its blood and skin, was threatening not just his own job, but could potentially wipe out a global multibillion-dollar industry that feeds millions of people.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 10:03am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Don't buy fish anyway as prefer to catch and handle myself - and its organic and fresh what's not to like?

Chicken farming is the same, you get what you pay for and sometimes not even that.  Wont buy caged chicken eggs if I can avoid.
You do know the definition of free range eggs is??
Free range is bird that can wonder outside of the shed/cage,it is still fed the same food and all birds wander back inside and lay just like cage bird.Free range means the bird can come and go as it pleases but most do not leave the shed.
Now if you mean organic eggs that is a different story,farm needs to be certified.
People confuse free range with organic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 10:16am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seems like fish farming can only really exist as long as we are happy to either deplete the bottom end of the food chain (bait fish etc) in a way that is very dangerous to the overall security of our fisheries or feed the fish a whole lot of other waste products that are unnatural and require lots of 'additives' to make them work. Once we have to start putting a proper value on the bait fish biomass to protect what is left of our wild fisheries, really cost the environmental impact of the farms, and then seriously analyse the quality of the product produced I suspect we will find most fish farms do the opposite of helping our wild fisheries and are really just money makers exploiting our lack of global control over the exploitation of wild fisheries.
I expect that there are ways of doing good things (enhancing wild fisheries with releases etc) with some types of fish farming but I suspect that there is way more damage than good being done across the board.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 10:23am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

You do know the definition of free range eggs is??
Free range is bird that can wonder outside of the shed/cage,it is still fed the same food and all birds wander back inside and lay just like cage bird.Free range means the bird can come and go as it pleases but most do not leave the shed.
Now if you mean organic eggs that is a different story,farm needs to be certified.
People confuse free range with organic.
If I am able to would buy certified organic eggs, but free range if only option - just trying to encourage suppliers away from caged chickens. 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 10:46am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would be interesting to fish around the salmon farms in Marlborough and see whats actually outside the pens and what condition the wild fish are in,I would suspect the wild fish would taste bland,soft flesh as they would be feeding on the waste. Probably be like a fish that has spent its entire life in a marina?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 11:27am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fish for salmon here in Canterbury.

The best part of the wild salmon we catch is close to the head.

Last season for various reasons it was a tale of woe, small fish and not many of them.

I bought a piece of salmon fom the supermarket... the head end. It was awful. It had bugger all taste it was soft and basically tasted like some sort of oil ?

If i was ever to buy another piece of salmon i would be going for the tail end.. but, i wont be buying another piece of salmon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 11:33am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Eating Vietnamese prawns... you gotta be mad !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 12:18pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have caught numerous fresh run wild Quinnet (king)salmon in the Rakaia back in the day. Big solid fresh run wild fish between 15 & 25 lb. Deep orange flesh. You could feel the omega 3 oozing out of them. Compare these wild salmon to N.Z farmed King Salmon.
They are totally different fish.Like comparing snapper to chicken nuggets. Farmed fish is so oily and bland,and the colour comes from carotine added to food ,which according the consumer mag is pellets made from the Australian poultry industry by products , in particular feather meal. Only approx 5% fish oil from Chilean anchovy.
Farmed fish contain more omega 6 than omega 3.
And yes we have had disease outbreaks and die offs in our Salmon farms,the cause of which DOC could not find. The reality of toxic farmed fish is very real. Farmed fish is a reaction to overfishing of wild stocks.
Surely reason and logic would say protect wild stocks,first and foremost.

And above all  ,if there is a reason to protect our valuable wild stocks from over fishing then the ugly legacy of fish farming is exactly the reason.
We dont need to go there. We must never go there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:42pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't forget the anti-biotics, growth hormones, I dare say some plastics and other nasties that go into their artificial food.
For those that feed them natural bait fish including prawns, shrimps and krill, studies have suggested that for every kilo of farmed fed fish it takes 5-7 kilos of fish food, and the depletion of that in many areas is causing a huge imbalance in the food chain, and taking it away from migratory species that depend on that food and the reason they come.

Environmentally their excrement and uneaten food ends up silting up the bottom big time and eventually covering and rotting the whole area turning it into a sess pit. It effects the rivers, estuaries, bays, harbour,etc that don't have good tidal flow.

The owners don't care about the environment just their bank balances.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:45pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I posted this some years ago, but this is how fish should be farmed, I am sure you can see how the entire area and ecology improved and thrived!Clap