Squid fishing in Northland?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid fishing in Northland?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:56am
Brendog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm a little bit interested in squid fishing and seem to have acquired a few squid jigs. I live in the bay of islands in northland and want to try for some squid. Is there anyone else that lives in northland or have fishied for squid here? I haven't seemed to find any
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:36am
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi mate have you persevered trying in the BOI and had any luck ?
I too have brought a few and going to give it a try
Thinking of trying down the open end of Kerikeri inlet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

There are lots here, but you've got the wrong season. There are always a few about year round, but they start to increase around August/September with peak numbers in November and December, tapering off into summer and sometimes autumn.

Try any sheltered bay or a wharf with lights at night.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:33pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or from boat during the day, you simply find a weed line, cast to the weedline, lift rod, let sink reel, rinse repeat. Never play like a fish and gently wind into boat. Kingies love them as livies. I use to do this a lot in Port Hacking NSW.

Try this video about 3:10 in

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:25pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have caught them off rocks up near Matapouri around Labour Weekend, which tallies with Fish Man's expert observations.

I'm no expert by any means, but have caught a few down here in Auckland after learning from one of the experienced forum squid fishos, and watching lots of vids. 
Clear water, weedy patches mixed with open sand/gravel, and not much current I think is the key. Be warned, it's addictive!!

you can either use the sink and twitch type retrieve, or hang a jig under a glowing float. Both methods work.

And don't forget to net your big squid from behind - they jet backwards - so you need to unlearn your other fish netting techniques.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 6:28pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive been getting quite a few out in the bay. There are some big ones. Down end of inlet road is the odd one.
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:11am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im abit further north and gave it a nudge the other night.  had lights all over the boat set up like a christmas tree.  didnt get a thing.... sore pipe and bait fish and all those little critters turn up, just no squid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lesteraction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 7:52pm
Lesteraction View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There are several here, but the time of year is incorrect. There are always a few around, but their numbers start to rise in the months of August and September and peak in November and December before declining into the summer and occasionally the fall.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 8:22pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm in taranaki and some friends of mine took the boat off Newplymouth on Friday night and got some squid.They had alot if trouble with barracuda hitting the jigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robojems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 6:38pm
robojems View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I seem to have collected a few squid jigs because I have a small amount of interest in squid fishing. I wish to try for some squid as I dwell in the northland's Bay of Islands. Anyone else from Northland who has fished for squid around here? None that I could locate, it seems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 7:17pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have caught them in November in the day time near black rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robojems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2023 at 10:53pm
robojems View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Moreover, it offers a pleasant user experience with a backlit keyboard and an intuitive touchpad. The device also has various useful features, such as a fingerprint reader for secure login and a stylus for taking notes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 10:27am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anchored overnight  in Tom Bowling Bay on the way to 3 Kings in mid April and we caught lots just using small baitied hooks as we were trying to catch livies.
We ate some and put others in livie tank. Next morning, the squid ate all the other livies!!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 8:22pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Anchored overnight  in Tom Bowling Bay on the way to 3 Kings in mid April and we caught lots just using small baitied hooks as we were trying to catch livies.
We ate some and put others in livie tank. Next morning, the squid ate all the other livies!!

yes! they need to be separated
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:53am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, we know that, now!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken