Price of fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price of fish
    Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:07pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I rarely buy fish (e.g. Salmon tonight for dinner). My daughter today asked me how much fish cost (per kilo) when I was a child.  Have searched the web and only prices I can find (Stats NZ) was back to 2005.  Does anyone have stats on fish prices before 2005? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:08pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

I rarely buy fish (e.g. Salmon tonight for dinner). My daughter today asked me how much fish cost (per kilo) when I was a child.  Have searched the web and only prices I can find (Stats NZ) was back to 2005.  Does anyone have stats on fish prices before 2005? 

All I know is back in "my days" the cost of various food in respective order went something like this ranging from the least to the most affordable :-

(1) chicken ( turkey or duck was off the scale ) even on special occasions such as Xmas & birthdays where chicken was considered a treat !
(2) Pork was still almost considered to be an extravagance.
(3) Beef was mostly mince, roast or slow cook cuts.
(4) Lamb if you were lucky but more often mutton or hogget.
(5 ) Sausages if genuine either beef, pork or mutton slotted in about here, but if they were a budget item then was a dilemma deciding whether to squirt sauce or jam on them, as they consisted largely of breadcrumbs.
(6) Then in last place came fish & even crayfish was affordable. As for oysters, scallops, whitebait, etc. they were within budget as a treat but paua were largely only valued for their shell.

These days I reckon it would be fair to say the order of affordability has pretty much reversed with such things as paua or lamb shanks, that would have once been considered subsistence fare, now requiring consultation with your bank manager before purchasing.
Admittedly mussels have remained  in about their same placing but probably due to now being farmed rather than wild harvested. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pretty close Bazza,except hogget featured regularly as the sunday roast then chicken/sausages featured high on the menu,steak/pork maybe once a fortnight,fish cheap as chips,always a cray for birthdays/christmas or when felt like it,

Today its pork 1st chicken 2nd mince 3rd sausages 4th, as far seafoods go mussels often as a snack,fish depending on meal will be hoki or smoked ky  snapper(even if caught myself)does not rate due to it being rammed down our throats as kids(above)lamb not often tasteless stuff since they trimmed all the fat off the roast(saw a leg that would feed 4 maybe $38)guess thats why they have a fridge full.
Salmon used to rate now over priced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:19am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I spent early years growing up in Napier. Fourty odd ago the Trawlers would come in tie up in the Iron Pot and sell fresh fish to the gathering public waiting. They would spread fish out and you pick wot you wanted, hand over the money and off you went with fresh fish. Can't remember prices Metal Float but was a great way of buying! No doubt this happened every where, anyone else remember those days?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 9:53am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

I spent early years growing up in Napier. Fourty odd ago the Trawlers would come in tie up in the Iron Pot and sell fresh fish to the gathering public waiting. They would spread fish out and you pick wot you wanted, hand over the money and off you went with fresh fish. Can't remember prices Metal Float but was a great way of buying! No doubt this happened every where, anyone else remember those days?

Yeah & as well as that few people had fridges let alone freezers so most recreational gave their excess catch away to whoever wanted it. Given the fact few if any limits existed, was usually a substantial amount, as can be verified by looking at old photos of charter boats such as the Florence Kennedy with large snapper hung three deep covering every inch of the railings on their return from fishing.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 10:48am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

I spent early years growing up in Napier. Fourty odd ago the Trawlers would come in tie up in the Iron Pot and sell fresh fish to the gathering public waiting.

Yeah - that's the only way I remember buying fish when growing up (off the boats at the Iron Pot). I remember a dollar bought a good feed of in-shore species.

We got our shellfish from day trips out to Ocean or Waimarama Beach, and crays from throwing the pot over the rocks at Parongahou or trips to Mahia but never purchased because $15 was too much for special occasions.

We never eat lamb only mutton, and often chops once week and a leg on Sunday. Lamb shanks were 3 for a dollar (I think) and neck chops give aways. We brought a whole mutton and broke it down ourselves. Only home raised and killed pork, and a chicken every 2-3 weeks.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 1:28pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember our days of flatting when money was tight we could get lamb shanks for $1.50 each for us it was a poor mans roast!

We used to buy the odd fillets of trevally if we could find it fresh at $6/kg, snapper at the time was an outrageous $25/kg and the long liner at the time was lucky to make $5/kg!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 2:17pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A sausage at the chip shop was the same price as a piece of fish back in the 60's. I remember having the choice. We ate cheap cuts of meat, never fish, chicken on Xmas day only. I think fish was looked upon as poor mans food and not a real meal maybe. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 6:20pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As a kid I remember that Friday night was always fish and chip night (Mum's night off from cooking). I was born in 1951 so my recollections are late 50s and early 60s. I was regularly the person who would bike down to the local fish and chip shop to place 5 individual orders and bring the feast home for all. 2 - 3 shillings ($0.20 - $0.30) per person would buy you as much as you could eat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 6:33pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cant tell you the price of fish but as an apprentice I got $12.60 per weekin 1968 and a tradesman got $20 per week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 6:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

As a kid I remember that Friday night was always fish and chip night (Mum's night off from cooking). I was born in 1951 so my recollections are late 50s and early 60s. I was regularly the person who would bike down to the local fish and chip shop to place 5 individual orders and bring the feast home for all. 2 - 3 shillings ($0.20 - $0.30) per person would buy you as much as you could eat.
yep 1970 20 cents chips a fish and got change,posers in Devonport,still remember tony the Hungarian that cooked it,I would take my order out to him and while he cooked it he would give me a sausage. Only fish shop I recall seeing cans of turtle soup.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 7:41pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Price of fish is so expensive now because we pay export prices.
No need to look any further. Only exception is fresh Hoki in Season.
Hoki is a good ,pure ,omega 3 fish and consumers are glad to buy it. Other than that most cant afford fish.

As PJC said in an earlier post---Pork ,Chicken,mince ,sausages.
That is likely what many buy. High mortgages ,rents,trying to feed a family leaves little option.

Pork and chicken. Both factory farmed,contain antibiotic residues,possibly growth hormones, possibly puss and who knows what else. Same with farmed Salmon. Many are fed with pellets composed of by products from Australian chicken farms according to consumer research.Hate to think what they contain. And even the Salmon colour is there because of added carotene in the food.

No wonder N.Z rates as a leader in many modern diseases and health problems.
People need good food ,rich with good oils ,proteins and  minerals to remain healthy.
But as the add on T.V says we feed the world with our fish. Well how about feeding New Zealanders first.
Economy has replaced society.!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:23pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a read cirrus on salmon in tasmania

http://www.et.org.au/tassal_and_oxytetracycline

Tassal and the Rise of Superbugs

Salmon farmer Tassal increased its antibiotic use by a whopping 74% last year -- they used 30 times more antibiotics than their Tasmanian competitors combined.

With recent news of more than 1000 cases of almost-untreatable superbugs in Australia last year, it is crucial Tassal is open and honest about their antibiotic use. Especially when their drug of choice, oxytetracycline, is listed by the World Health Organisation as 'very important for human health'.

Help us get the facts from Tassal. Send them an email now and ask for the truth about their use of antibiotics.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 9:42pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember Tony at Posers. A bit after that, 1974. He was there for a longtime.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 10:49pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

yep 1970 20 cents chips a fish and got change,posers in Devonport,still remember tony the Hungarian that cooked it,I would take my order out to him and while he cooked it he would give me a sausage. Only fish shop I recall seeing cans of turtle soup.

A little off topic but you have me reminiscing. The folks had a bach at Red Beach, most holidays were spent there and the Friday night fish and chips tradition was mostly observed. It would have been mid 1960s and for some reason only my mum and I were at the bach and it was Friday. The call was made later than usual and so off we went to Orewa to buy our usual Friday fish and chips. As I entered the door I was greeted with "you are just in time we are about to close". I placed the order and 15 or so minutes later was presented with numerous newspaper wrapped parcels that would have filled a 20lb apple box. He told me that as I was the last customer for the day he had just cooked everything that was on the bench. We ate fish and chips for days, there were endless pieces of fish, paua fritters, battered sausages, potato fritters and some things I'd never eaten before. The look on my mum's face when I got back to the car with my arms full was priceless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 10:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

I remember Tony at Posers. A bit after that, 1974. He was there for a longtime.
I think his wife was Paula?excelent fish n chip shop hard to fined one today of that standard,tables and chairs sit down mealsThumbs Up