Advice needed 4.85 Surtees

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaninPort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed 4.85 Surtees
    Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:14pm
SeaninPort View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All! Just joined the forum, Sean from Port Macquarie NSW.

Looking for some advice on a 4.85m Surtees I am looking at buying, second hand here in NSW. The only place I could really find any good information on them has been trolling through this site; there is not really much info (that I've found) anywhere else, and given there are not a lot of them in Australia it's been a bit tough.

So I thought I'd introduce myself and put a few questions out hoping I can get a better understanding. Firstly, the boat is a 4.85m centre console with a F70 Yamaha. My fishing is primarily inshore (up to 5 miles out) with a combination of live baiting, jigging, trolling and bottom bashing. I usually fish 2-up, sometimes 3. My son is starting to get into his spearfishing so I'll be using it this coming summer to take he and a couple of his mates spearing off some local islands and along the coast.

I've just sold my 5.5m Formosa centre cabin, had to do that for various reasons. I really liked the boat and understand that I'll be somewhat limited in what I'm able to do in a smaller boat by comparison, but I'm also looking at simplifying a bit. My ideal range would be something in the 4.6 to 5.2m range. I've also considered a 4.6/4.9 Renegade, a 4.6 Webster and a 5.3 Makocraft truck. I once owned a 4.7 Quintrex Reef Raider centre console, it was a wet and damn uncomfortable boat.

I also considered a 445 or Formula 15, although I just don't think I can move to a glass boat.

My consideration is safety, comfort (ride and dryness) and practicality. I like both the cubby cab and the centre console 4.85 surtees. I think the cab would probably be more comfortable and dryer, but the centre console appeals to me as I like flicking lures, a bit of crabbing in the river, easier anchoring and chasing fish around the boat.

I'm sure the 5.5m would really be a better boat for me all around, but I really need to go smaller from what I had, so prepared to compromise a bit.

So, specifically the things I'd like to ask;

- Has anybody had any experience with any of the boats I've mentioned above vs the 4.85 Surtees?

- Are they as good a boats as I'm reading and suited for what I'm looking to do with it (the fishing open waters regularly is my biggest concern)?

- Has anybody mounted an electric motor to their boat? I have a 48" 55lb Minn Kota available, I could probably get the shaft extended to 52" (it was originally 52" and was cut down to 48" to suit another boat). I'm thinking a 52" 80lb would be ideal, but I am hoping I can get away with what I already have?

Sorry for the long post but though the more info the better, appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers
Sean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:19pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1022390997805201/
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A friend of mine has used one for game fishing. Worked for him. Pretty sure you need to go more than 5 miles offshore in these parts. He had a 70 on his. Like any form of boating I guess it's all about picking the weather and sea conditions
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaninPort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:02pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yep you're right about picking the conditions. I plan my trips in advance based on the conditions. In my neck of the woods 5 miles would get you out to the 100m line, a little further to the FAD and to the shelf. Run to the mackerel grounds is a little further up the coast rather than out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:46pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The 55lb electric motor will be fine for that size of boat. I run one on a 5.6m alloy boat and its only in the extreme wind, swell and tide together that I get blown off anchor lock.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaninPort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Great, thanks Joker, appreciate the feedback!